On what basis some of the folks in Western Astrology follows Equal house division?!

This area is for those who wish to ask questions about, or to discuss astrological theory. ​ ​P​lease feel free to drop in and ask questions, add comments and answer queries here.
Noel Eastwood
Site Admin

Re: On what basis some of the folks in Western Astrology follows Equal house division?!

Post by Noel Eastwood »

Hi Viv, that is a very good question. I will try to answer by giving you my perspective.

Students of geomancy have long sought the keys of knowledge to understand the nature of the universe. One pathway is astrology but it is just one path. These students traveled the world seeking teachers, gurus who would show them, teach them these answers. Some studied one school of astrology from one master while others studied under another. Because travel was dangerous and expensive most students could only learn from one master in a lifetime.

Alexander the Great founded the city of Alexandria prior to the Christian era, this city became the trading hub of the Mediterranean and attracted not only merchants but learned men and women in all fields of science. The Library of Alexander became the hub of science and was where astrologers and astronomers, who were basically the same people, sought to teach and study.

From this melting pot we have the basics of astrology - 7 planets, 12 signs, 12 houses and the geometric aspects between them.

The earliest house divisions were equal houses which could either be calculated from the Midheaven or the Ascendant. The earliest schools also taught that the houses could begin at 0 degrees of the Ascendant sign. The Asc and MH then became points in the chart and not the house cusps.

I use Placidus and Koch mostly but have used Equal House and Whole Sign, I like them all but am still trying to work out which is the most accurate. I am still a student of astrology and maybe one day before I pass over to the great horoscope in the sky, I will find out the best house division system.
Noel Eastwood
Site Admin

Re: On what basis some of the folks in Western Astrology follows Equal house division?!

Post by Noel Eastwood »

Namaste Viv, astrology is fascinating, a true science as well as art. Many people think that they can learn it in a lifetime but the older I get the more I realise how much I have yet to learn. The ancients knew so much more than we do today particularly in regards to using astrology for prediction.

Please correct me if I get this wrong but I see western astrology as more inclined towards the study of the native's psychology whereas vedic / sidereal astrology is more inclined towards prediction of possible patterns in the future. I would be interested in your opinion on this, thanks.
pisces_1

Post by pisces_1 »

Hi Viv;

To add to what Noel has mentioned I wrote an article on this in the past that I will post here for reference. I tend to use Palcidus House System as that is what gives me the most information for my uses, but I will use Equal house system for someone who is born at the extreme North or South of the planet to even out the houses with fewer intercepted signs in each house. Just a preference of mine.....all in all it depends on the Astrologers preference and what they are trying to achieve. There is no wrong answer here lol.

Enjoy the learning experience! Bev. :)

https://astropredictions.ca/astrology-i ... omparison/

Astrologer and Teacher: Beverley Rostant
www.astropredictions.ca
Astrologer and CAAE Teacher: Beverley Rostant
www.astropredictions.ca