General Terminology

This area is for those who wish to ask questions about, or to discuss astrological theory. ​ ​P​lease feel free to drop in and ask questions, add comments and answer queries here.
Lilith78

General Terminology

Post by Lilith78 »

I am hoping to start a new thread, on what is probably an old topic. If this topic lives up to my dreams, then it will become a glossary of terms for Astrology. Hopefully, people will contribute by giving their two cents on what word means what and also help other novice astrologist understand the various terms frequently used in astrology. Please let me know if there is another thread that already satisfies the purpose I just mentioned.

The first term I am having difficulty understanding is transit. If my understanding is sound, then transit has a complex meaning. In my chart, my Sun is in Pisces. Rather, I have a Piscean Sun. If Jupiter is in transit, then Jupiter is in Pisces. Furthermore, when Jupiter enters Pisces in the future, then one is validly able to say, "Jupiter is transit Pisces." Please let me know if my example accurately describes transit.

There are many other terms I fail to grasp, and I am guessing people reading this discussion have terms they want to learn more about. So please do not be shy and mention the words you wish to gain clarity on.
Lilith78

Re: General Terminology

Post by Lilith78 »

What does "transit" mean?
Lilith78

Post by Lilith78 »

Perhaps I am being overly perfectionistic by wondering about my word choices. A few seconds ago, I was thinking about how a planet is in a sign. For example, Someone's Moon is in Pisces. It is tempting for me to refer to their Moon in Pisces as an aspect of their personality. However, calling it an aspect is somewhat misleading when talking with astrologists. The main reason is that aspects usually refer to the relationship between two planets and their respective signs. What word would you use to refer someone's Moon in Pisces?
Noel Eastwood
Site Admin

Post by Noel Eastwood »

Lilith78, we would say that Moon in Pisces helps describe the native's emotions. I think I would get tangled up by trying to explain it any other way. Keep it simple and focus on the planet's function first then the sign.

Sun - has many keywords that describe its function including self-esteem, energy, drive, generosity etc
Moon - has many keywords that describe her function too...

So I guess you could sue the word 'function' to help explain the planet's 'aspect of their personality'. Both aspect and function work quite well even though 'aspect' has a specific meaning in astrology. Don't worry, an astrologer won't get annoyed if you use descriptive words like 'aspect'.