For Students

This area is for those who wish to ask questions about, or to discuss astrological theory. ​ ​P​lease feel free to drop in and ask questions, add comments and answer queries here.
Noel Eastwood
Site Admin

Re: For Students

Post by Noel Eastwood »

Lilith, thanks for the praise but astrology is not always prescriptive like reading a list of personality traits. These should not be taken as entirely descriptive of any sign, planet or house. All professional astrologers recognise the moving average of these lists according to the placement and dominance of any sign, house, element or planet.

I am not really going to give you anything that any other astrologer will give you, it will just become another list and you know them already. I don't use lists in my readings. I have my own traits in my head which subscribe to planets, houses and signs, but then they blur and form into certain possible personality characteristics.

You will note that my readings include the comment: "this conjunction (or set of planets in houses, etc) suggests that...". What I am saying is that there is a degree of plasticity in astrology which conforms to the same plasticity in human personality. We are state - trait people. We display or take on certain personality traits according to the person we are with or the situation we are in (state).

Sometimes you will exhibit strong Pisces traits, but at other times you will exhibit Taurus, or Gemini or Scorpio traits. That clearly demonstrates why astrology needs to be flexible in its interpretation. More lists from me is useless unless you can interpret the interconnectedness and diversity of planetary aspects and their network of elements, signs and houses. This is why I always suggest to those interested in learning about astrology to study it formally and learn how to read the whole chart rather than get caught up in lists of single aspects of the planets, signs, elements and houses.

I know that this is not the answer you are after but I think you can take something from what I have said now and in the past and to put it into action and formalise your study to become an astrologer of repute yourself.
Lilith78

Post by Lilith78 »

Hey everyone. I am doing my best to analyze my relationship with Dad by applying the wisdom in Do It Yourself Astrology.This book has lists upon lists of aspects. The various aspects it covers are conjunction, trine, opposition, and square. Unfortunately, it fails to mention the orb for these aspects. I am hoping by making this post, that I can hear your words of wisdom on how many degrees are applicable to the previously mentioned aspects. For example, most books (other than this one) would say 10 degrees Aries and 0 degrees Aries is conjunct. Do you find this to be accurate? Or do you apply this function and see if it matches what you observe in every day life? I suppose it is possible, that this rule usually works. In some cases, what it says about the relationship is just not true in yours and Bob's case. Or the opposite may be true as well. Meaning, there is 10 degrees Aries, what it says about something conjunct something, and 21 degrees Aries, and yet somehow the something is actually accurate, even though mathematically it should not be.

I am looking forward to hearing how you deal with aspects.
Noel Eastwood
Site Admin

Post by Noel Eastwood »

Hi Lilith, that is a good question, orbs are also variable according to the planets or the points in the chart involved.

You will remember that one needs to learn how to read the whole chart and not just single points. I suggest you now go and get my latest book, 'Psychological Astrology An Introduction' because I discuss aspects and orbs there better than I can say here.

Basically the orbs I use are 10 degrees for all planets and applying to the house cusps it is between 2 and 7 degrees. But it can still vary and that is discussed in my book with examples.