ASTROLOGY - a tool for psychological and spiritual growth.

This area of the forum is for Western and Vedic astrology discussions. Please post personal issues in the appropriate forum area.

Moderator: Noel Eastwood

BIGRAVEN13
Senior

ASTROLOGY - a tool for psychological and spiritual growth.

Post by BIGRAVEN13 »

These are my views on astrology as someone who came to it from a psychological perspective, primarily informed by the work of C G Jung.

Astrology is primarily psychological, which is to do with the soul or psyche. It is an inner,
intuitive discipline rather than a science in the modern sense. The personality, of which
astrology can give us a rich and complex profile, is, like the body, a vehicle of the higher
purpose which we serve in earthly life. Astrology is a powerful tool for understanding two very
important and inter-linked processes in life. Firstly the day to day reality and our adaption to
it, and secondly our hidden or inner purpose and the lessons which are inherent in that.

In the first of these we are living and focussed in the life of an incarnate being. As such we
may be unaware of, or resistant to, the more complex psychic reality of `who and what we are' as
a multi-dimensional being of which this incarnation is only one small facet. The reality of our
multi-dimensionality is contained in the placement of the transpersonal planets. It is through
their aspects to the personal and collective planets that the potential for our experience and
understanding of this reality is constellated. In particular it is through the effects of
transpersonal planet transits that the tension between our trance-like identification with the
with earthly life and the reality of our greater being is so heightened that it breaks into
consciousness.

Astrology is on one hand a very subtle and complex tool for self knowledge on the day to day
level of experience. Here it give us explanations for many of our actions behaviours and urges,
and as such is a tool for self acceptance. If one can accept who one innately is, and begin
to work with rather than against one's nature, then the processes of nurture with which we
attempt to change ourselves may be far more effective. In this area the focus of astrology
is primarily on the personal planets (Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars), the Ascendant and
Jupiter and Saturn (planets related to collective life and values) as indicators of our
personal desires, styles and attitudes in relationship, social life and self expression.
This aspect of astrology, through aspects to the transpersonal planets, also shows the possible
outlets for the deeper forces in the psyche which flow (or don't flow) into our lives through
the gateways of the personal planets.

It is in this sense that astrology offers a great potential for increasing self knowledge, and
therefore self acceptance, which makes it is a most useful psychological tool. In this it
focuses one on the here and now, on ever day life and realities, not on escapist fantasies
and phenomena.

On the other hand astrology is a powerful tool for understanding our relationship to the
transpersonal aspects of human experience - the religious, spiritual or metaphysical dimensions.
The outer or transpersonal planets and the Nodes of the Moon, connect us to the deeper purposes
which we serve knowingly or unknowingly in our lives. These planets (Pluto, Neptune, Uranus and
Chiron) move in long cycles that have a collective as well as individual significance, and, as I
indicated above, their linking with personal planets indicates the manner in which one will
experience such transpersonal realities.

Deeply unconscious patterns in the individual psyche are here revealed, things that seem to run
in families or have the quality of what may be called karma or fate. The Nodes of the Moon also
indicate deeper psychic patterning, karmic issues or spiritual lessons. The deeper layers of
psychological patterning such as psychosomatic responses, psychic and spiritual abilities and
dimensions of the personality, transcendent or transformational energies, addictive/neurotic/
psychotic possibilities and psycho-sexual dynamics are all potentially indicated by outer planet
configurations in the chart. In other words the deeper life of the soul, the lessons one has in
serving it in this life and the multi-dimensional aspect of our greater being may be revealed
through these factors.

Periods of transit activity by outer planets are important indicators of where, how and when
energies from the deeper layers of the psyche will break through and demand our attention.
Such times are times of trial and challenge but also of great potential benefit; times of
transformation, healing and emergence of creative energies and hidden psychic or spiritual
dimensions into one's life. Transits are times of cyclic emergence of energies for psychological
change and spiritual development. They are "trigger" points which open up times of heightened
opportunity for growth, although they are often initially experienced as times of disruption and
upheaval. Looking at signs and houses in major transits can prepare one for dealing with the
emergence of these energies in particular arenas of life. It is important to understand that
outer planets and Saturn transits are not "points in time" and understanding that they may
extend over several months (up to a year sometimes) may be important preparation for gaining the
fullest benefit from them.

Rodney Ravenswood, copyright 2008
"Free will is the ability to do gladly that which one must do" C G Jung
Dr.Y.V.Subba Rao

Re: ASTROLOGY - a tool for psychological and spiritual growth.

Post by Dr.Y.V.Subba Rao »

Hi!
Astrology is an innocent hobby. It harms none but elevates all. A person who has astrological knowledge definitely grows spiritually taller. Thefact is that while the static chart reveals what is in store for the individual in his or her horoscope arising out of the effect of ones past actions in his previous lives.This is astrological divination. The progressive horoscopy progressed on the basis of the planetary periods or 'Dasas' called as astrological divination and timing of events clearly decipher periods of promissing good or definite evil known as 'destiny' or 'fate' and the individual is expected to be a mute spectator to these events good or bad and exhaust them by experiencing. No one can thwart fate or destiny in which case it is not called fate at all. The progression of the native's life into planetary periods also indicate neutral periods i.e., periods during which success is proportional to the effort. This is freewill, for this constitutes ones life to the maximum. The individual drawing lessons from the events of his fate as not to repeat the same mistakes should adopt a positive posture in his attitude and put up efforts with his freewill and evolve better from life to life and finally attain liberation. On the other hand, if the individual directs his efforts into fields as to thwart fate, he is certainly doomed. It is through this freewill he responds to fate by thought and deed and he elevates himself or brings himself down from life to life. Todays freewill is tomorrows destiny.
Julianna77

Post by Julianna77 »

Hi Dr. Rao...
Truer words have never been spoken.....
Astrology is the back bone of our culture...but, it is ignored by too many who "fear it." World wide Karma is the result.

Thank you,
Julianna
Julianna77

Post by Julianna77 »

JAN.15TH, 2010....EARTHQUAKE IN HAITI...KILLING THOUSANDS. IT HAPPENED ON THE DAY OF A SOLAR ECLIPSE IN CAPRICORN, AN EARTH ELEMENT....OPPOSITE CANCER, AMERICA'S HOME.
It squared Saturn in Libra's first degrees opposing my natal first house Cancer's 1st degree.. USA is in Progressed Asc. in Sagittarius. Capricorn eclipse disaster is affecting our 2nd house of money...because we are a charitable and helpful nation of people. We are already a financially stressed nation within our own borders. That earthquake is affecting our country and our people also.
This is affecting my 4th house of real estate...nobody is buying. And it also affected my 5th house of one and only true love...my boyfriend dropped me and is disintrested now.
Julianna
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good comment Julianna!

Re the events affecting yourself... I truly hope that Saturn (in his...eh hmmm...'Wisdom') has 'taken' the 'wrong' person for you out of your life - tho' obviously if you feel he is "the one and only true love", the pain you are experiencing must be excruciating! - for which my deepest sympathies.

I note that you mention you have 1st deg. of Cancer rising, so T. Pluto passed across your 7th House cusp in 2008 (went back and forth over that area for some time before it finally entered your 7th). So, whether this helps or not, Pluto has a way of bringing people into one's life who connect with some very deep area of one's being, and when that area has been connected with, can take the person out of one's life - the 'job' being done. Also, as you probably know, what Pluto accomplishes (via this pain), can take a while for one to recognise or see. That, of course, doesn't really much help at the time, and certainly leaves its mark on one's whole being for a very long time. The fact that T. Saturn has joined in this fray (presumably from your 4th House?), suggests strongly that there is a 'parent'/'family' matter involved somehow.

(You didn't asked for these comments so if you would prefer that I delete them, please let me know).

Best,
Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
kobra

Post by kobra »

Astrology exists as God exists. This is a fact. By denying God's existence ( as many do) nothing alters. Similarly if Astrological predictions made by any one happen to be wrong means lack of complete knowledge and error in calculations. Just think,we stay on Earth and have everything available for survival. The use of Sun and Moon is known to all. What is the use of other 7 planets? Of course they are made purposefully.
Thanks, :roll:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi kobra, and thankyou for posting here.

Re:
"...if Astrological predictions made by any one happen to be wrong means lack of complete knowledge and error in calculations."
I totally agree...how could anyone have 'complete knowledge' ?
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
LeeRutland

Post by LeeRutland »

While I agree with BigRaven that there is a vital psychological element to Astrology, it was never apparent to humanity in times of yore, since they were unaware of their own psychological component.
My original slant on Astrology was/is a tad more Metaphyscal than that. There is something "universal" at work here, something we puny humans know nothing about, and can only vaguely apprehend, much in the same way we barely conceive of the laws of electricity, can work with them a tiny bit, but....really have no idea what we're playing around with.

The very fact that Astrology can...and does....accurately describe human attributes, tendencies and even actions points to something far more profound than we just imagine. It points to some fundamental hinge pin in the Cosmos. I don't pretend to understand it, but I am left with a wondering, somewhat awed curiosity about all this.

The fact that "Science" doesn't accept Astrology doesn't bother me one whit, as I am not impressed with the scientific community in the first place.
Elf

Post by Elf »

I have just joined this forum. Big Raven's article on the nature and uses of astrology reflects my own experience and orientation. Eloquently expressed Big Raven. Thank you.
Elf
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Lee, “
While I agree with BigRaven that there is a vital psychological element to Astrology, it was never apparent to humanity in times of yore, since they were unaware of their own psychological component.
My original slant on Astrology was/is a tad more Metaphyscal than that. There is something "universal" at work here, something we puny humans know nothing about, and can only vaguely apprehend, much in the same way we barely conceive of the laws of electricity, can work with them a tiny bit, but....really have no idea what we're playing around with.

The very fact that Astrology can...and does....accurately describe human attributes, tendencies and even actions points to something far more profound than we just imagine. It points to some fundamental hinge pin in the Cosmos. I don't pretend to understand it, but I am left with a wondering, somewhat awed curiosity about all this.

The fact that "Science" doesn't accept Astrology doesn't bother me one whit, as I am not impressed with the scientific community in the first place.”
I agree, and BigRaven would have more to say on parts of this (if only I could get him to come back here again!).

Yes, indeed we have absolutely NO IDEA of what we are dealing with here! Exciting to discover, tho’ as you say, with our puny little minds...way too much. Feels like we’re just little kids mucking around here with too much knowledge that we are ‘playing with’. Unfortunately, seems like there’s no stopping us, using the bits of knowledge and toddling off with it anywhere and everywhere before we know what it actually is.
Agree also with
“The fact that "Science" doesn't accept Astrology doesn't bother me one whit...”.
On occasion, some have asked me to ‘prove’ astrology. My response has been (along the lines of): “I ‘believed’ it initially without question...then when working with it, started to ‘disbelieve’ when I read so much ...rubbish (interpretations etc. which proved to be soooo wrong...”) (...long story of course, as to why, and irrelevant.) “...but, something about it kept my interest til, I found that it is ‘valid’. So if you want it ‘proved’...go out and do it yourself ...like I did ! ...or...not!” (Or in other words, “I don’t care if you believe it or not!”).