Days of the week

For those who wish to pursue new theories based on the Old Wisdom and who wish to look more deeply into our vastly changing world from a different perspective.

Moderators: Noel Eastwood, James Strom

James Strom

Days of the week

Post by James Strom »

I've lately been interested in time and calendars on other planets. This guy names the Martian months after the signs of the zodiac in both the Western tradition and Sanskrit.

http://pweb.jps.net/~tgangale/mars/conv ... _clock.htm

Trying to come up with a general formula for naming the days of the weeks on other planets got me to thinking about how they are ordered. Why is the first day Sunday (or Saturday astrologically) and so on? Of course they're named after the rulers of the first planetary hour of that particular day. But I'd like to see the hours take into account Uranus and Neptune. That would really change things.
But what if the days were influenced by something else that was simply very similar? Let's assume that the planets come in four pairs based on their distance from the Sun like this:

Mercury/Jupiter
Venus/Saturn
Terra/Uranus
Mars/Neptune

Now if you take out Terra (Earth) because it's our point of reference that would leave us with 7 planets. Suppose, also, that the list of 7 begins and ends with where Earth would be. We would wind up with a list like this:

Uranus
Mars
Neptune
Mercury
Jupiter
Venus
Saturn

Now what if we were to name days after these planets? We already have that for all but two of them; Uranus and Neptune. Following the pattern of dropping the final 'n' sound in 'Saturday' we might name these days Uraday and Neptuday. Here would be a list of the days in their proper order:

Uraday
Tuesday
Neptuday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday

Hmmmmm. Coincidence?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Days of the week

Post by admin »

OK...OK... took me a while to go through this (as you will have noticed). Really exciting !!! But you are going to have to give more than links about this.

I see why you have chosen those 'names' for the days of the week, but would appreciate if you would explain it further - not just for me, but also for others on this forum.

I realise that it's all obvious to you, but we're out here, trying to understand.

Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
James Strom

Post by James Strom »

Here's an explanation of why the days of the week are called what they're called:

Sunday=Sun
Monday=Moon
Tuesday=Tyr=Mars
Wednesday=Woden=Mercury
Thursday=Thor=Jupiter
Friday=Freya=Venus
Saturday=Saturn

That is how and why I converted this:

Uranus
Mars
Neptune
Mercury
Jupiter
Venus
Saturn

to that:

Uraday
Tuesday
Neptuday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday

You're right that I should do more than provide links. That's not only presumptuous on the part of the poster that everyone thinks it's worth their time to look at what I've already seen, but also lazy. Now that you've taught me how to do this, I'll just post the picture for everyone to see:
Darian calendar.gif
Darian calendar.gif (24.68 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
I've been thinking about how calendars could or would be made on Mars or any other planet or moon, for that matter. Having days of the week named after the planets would certainly seem necessary. But in what order? Would their own planet be included? And how about the Sun and possible moons? Although the Sun would easily be the most important object in the sky, both gravitationally and astrologically, it's not really a planet. If the moons were really small and insignificant, like on Mars, would they be included? While on Earth the Moon has a profound influence opon just about everything from tides to keeping the planet from tilting on its axis, it, too, is not really a planet.

And should Uranus and Neptune be included in the list of days? They clearly are major planets of great significance. It is only because of their dimness that they weren't discoved until modern times. So should we really have 9 days in a week?

The ancients, though, seemed quite set on the number 7. Although they knew nothing about Uranus and Neptune, they could reach that number by adding the Sun and Moon. But what if 7 is the right number because that's how many planets, besides Earth, there are in the Solar System? Could it be that an aliens living in a system with 6 planets would consider 5 to be their 'lucky' number? Would they have 5 days in a week?

With our more accurate knowledge of what constitutes the Solar System maybe we should have our own traditions more accurately reflect this.
James Strom

Post by James Strom »

Following this line of reasoning we can assign and name days of the week on other planets and moons. I would name the days after a shortened version of their genitives followed by 'day'. Here are the genitives of many of the major bodies of the Solar System and the resultant names:

Solar
Mercurial
Venusian
Terranean
Lunar
Martian
Cererian
Palladian
Vestan
Hygeian
Jovian
Saturnian
Uranian
Neptunian
Plutonian
Haumean
Makemakean
Eridian

Soladay
Mercurday
Venuday
Terraday
Lunaday
Martiday
Cereday
Palladay
Hygeday
Vestaday
Joviday
Saturday
Uraday
Neptuday
Plutoday
Haumeday
Makeday
Eriday

All of the names have three syllables.

If the planet will use its own unit of time, instead of Earth's 24 hours, such as with Mars, 'day' shall be replaced by 'sol', like this:

Solasol
Mercursol
Venusol
Terrasol
Lunasol
Martisol
Ceresol
Pallasol
Hygesol
Vestasol
Jovisol
Satursol
Urasol
Neptusol
Plutosol
Haumesol
Makesol
Erisol

So on Mars, following the formula given for Earth, the seven days of the week (and an eighth) would be named this:

Neptusol
Mercursol
Jovisol
Venusol
Satursol
Terrasol
Urasol
(Martisol)

On the other planets and moons a 24 hour day aligned with Earth may or may not be used. Here are the order and names of the days of the week for several of them in both forms:

Mercury

Joviday
Venuday
Saturday
Terraday
Uraday
Martiday
Neptuday
(Mercurday)

Jovisol
Venusol
Satursol
Terrasol
Urasol
Martisol
Neptusol
(Mercursol)

Venus

Saturday
Terraday
Uraday
Martiday
Neptuday
Mercurday
Joviday
(Venuday)

Satursol
Terrasol
Urasol
Martisol
Neptusol
Mercursol
Jovisol
(Venusol)

Luna

Uraday
Martiday
Neptuday
Mercurday
Joviday
Venuday
Saturday
(Terraday)

Urasol
Martisol
Neptusol
Mercursol
Jovisol
Venusol
Satursol
(Terrasol)

Asteroids or Ceroids

Neptuday
Mercurday
Joviday
Venuday
Saturday
Terraday
Uraday
(Martiday)

Neptusol
Mercursol
Jovisol
Venusol
Satursol
Terrasol
Urasol
(Martisol)

Moons of Jupiter

Venuday
Saturday
Terraday
Uraday
Martiday
Neptuday
Mercurday
(Joviday)

Venusol
Satursol
Terrasol
Urasol
Martisol
Neptusol
Mercursol
(Jovisol)

Moons of Saturn

Terraday
Uraday
Martiday
Neptuday
Mercurday
Joviday
Venuday
(Saturday)

Terrasol
Urasol
Martisol
Neptusol
Mercursol
Jovisol
Venusol
(Satursol)

Moons of Uranus

Martiday
Neptuday
Mercurday
Joviday
Venuday
Saturday
Terraday
(Uraday)

Martisol
Neptusol
Mercursol
Jovisol
Venusol
Satursol
Terrasol
(Urasol)

Moons of Neptune and Plutoids

Mercurday
Joviday
Venuday
Saturday
Terraday
Uraday
Martiday
(Neptuday)

Mercursol
Jovisol
Venusol
Satursol
Terrasol
Urasol
Martisol
(Neptusol)

Obviously this process and ones like it can be used just about anywhere; even other planets and moons in other stellar systems. By allowing for an extra day a fit can be made for just about any number of days in a "month" or "year."
Phillip

Post by Phillip »

i guess it must have took you long time to do this research but anyways great information your hard work is simply showing the character through your work