Primary and Secondary Progressions

admin
Site Admin

Primary and Secondary Progressions

Post by admin »

Would appreciate a 'simple' :roll: explanation of the difference between Primary and Secondary Progressions...if possible. Thanks.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
abigail

Re: Primary and Secondary Progressions

Post by abigail »

primary progressions are those between the progressed sun & natal planets; secondary progressions are mainly lunar, the progressed moon aspecting natal planets.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for that Abigail ! Will...experiment.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
Libransun

Post by Libransun »

I think that the terms are "primary directions" and secondary progressions". I use secondary progressions along with the natal chart and transiting planets to get some insight into what is coming up in ones life. There are many different methods of winding the chart forward (and backward too) in an attempt to see what's coming up for the native (person), you could easily spend 20 years studying each method looking for the most accurate system, which would be doing things the hard way. A much quicker easier path to take is to learn one of the methods from someone who has invested 20+ years trying to perfect any particular system while using clients for verification of the accuracy of the particular system-enter the astrologer "Nancy Anne Hastings" who put 20+ years work into secondary progressions and wrote 2 books (both are still available secondhand) which explain her methods. If you want to see further then stand on the shoulders of giants!
Most of you will be familiar with the passage from the bible which states "I appoint thee each one day for a year"-this is how secondary progressions work, the natal chart provides a base chart, and represents the 1st year of life, a chart erected for the 2nd day of life equates to the second year of life etc.etc. Sounds a bit far fetched doesn't it? This method works extremely well, which I shall demonstrate if there is sufficient interest from other members!
usindia

Post by usindia »

Dear-sir,
in-primary-progression,-Earth's-axial-rotation-is-taken-into-account.-4-minutes-per
1-year-of-life-is-added-in-birth-time-and-new-birth-chart-is-prepared.planets-are-kept-static.-suppose-a-person-is-born-on-8th-october-1952-at-6:05-a.m.gmt-lat.23-18-N--69-42-E.....his-primary-progression-of-18-years-completed-is-arrived-by-adding-18-multiplied-by-4=72-minutes-to-birh-time-and-new-birth-chart-is-prepared-for-8th-october-1952-at-7:17-a.m.-lat.23-18-N--69-42-E.-New-house-cusps-will-gradually-form-aspects-with-different-different-planets.-In-this-example,-in-progressed-birth-chart,4th-10th-house-cusp-becomes-197-degree-and-makes-exact-conjunction-with-static(radical)-saturn-and-resultantly-this-person's-father-died.-most-astrologers-takes-R.A.(right-ascension)-position-of-cusps-and-planets.But-in-my-experience-ecliptical-longitude-holds-good.
thanks.
Petr9

Post by Petr9 »

I just finished working on online Primary directions app ... so I will try to answer shortly:

Primary directions (PD) are based on Earth "primary" motion around it's own axe. Earth spins 360°in 24 hours (1° in 4 minutes) ... and this "speed" and motion is used to find arcs between planets and points on celestial sphere.
These arcs are later converted into date-time using one of several possible primary key (1°~ 1 year; 0°59'8'' ~ 1 year etc.)
Arcs are measured in right ascension (equatorial system), instead of measuring in longitude (regulary used ecliptic system), which is the main difference of PD to Secondary directions ... but it's not that simple at all.
You can take into account also ecliptic coordinates/latitude during PD calculating; you can take into account horizon coordinates; ... you can use topocentric system instead of geocentric ... and all these options give you many and many different results during calculating PD :shock: (=pretty big problem to choose, which PD system is the "right" one and works ...)

You can check this online PD app and try several options and see different results:
https://horoscopes.astro-seek.com/birth ... directions

Secondary directions are based just on the motion of the planets around the Sun (Earth) and their ecliptic position. It can be simply compared to classic Transit chart (the same movement) - with one simple rule:
1 day of planet movement in transits = 1 year of planet movement in secondary progressions.
https://horoscopes.astro-seek.com/secon ... ogressions

Petr
https://www.astro-seek.com - Free astrology charts and calculations