Question about Adherence and Combustion

This area is for those who wish to ask questions about, or to discuss astrological theory. ​ ​P​lease feel free to drop in and ask questions, add comments and answer queries here.
Blue

Question about Adherence and Combustion

Post by Blue »

Hello, I'm still learning to delineate placements and have come across one I'm not sure I'm approaching and understanding it correctly, which I hope someone can shed some insight on:

Night Chart,
In one of the houses we have:
Sun at 2 degrees 19
Mars at 3 degrees 47

Since it is a night chart Mars is the malefic of the sect. As the Sun is at 2 degrees and applying to Mars it's in adherence. But Mars is also Combust.

So which takes precedence in terms of influence and significations - the adherence, the combustion, or both? As Mars is the malefic in a night chart and capable of maltreatment does this carries more weight in terms of significations compared to the combustion? Or does perhaps the Sun limit the effect of the adherence to Mars because Mars is combust, and effectively mitigates Mars' aspects to other planets in the chart (whether whole sign or degree) because it is combust? I feel confused just thinking about it:)

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Noel Eastwood
Site Admin

Re: Question about Adherence and Combustion

Post by Noel Eastwood »

Blue, when you use the word Malefic' you are basically abiding by the vedic approach. Western astrology, particularly psychological astrology avoids these terms in most instances. Mars to us is just energy, little boy enthusiasm energy, and is interpreted in that manner, more or less.
Kasperanza

Post by Kasperanza »

Well in hellenistic astrology, Mars does much better in a night chart than a day chart. I think sign placement is important. If Mars is in Scorpio, for example, it would much more positive and powerful than say, in Cancer.
Noel Eastwood
Site Admin

Post by Noel Eastwood »

Kas, I am not a vedic or hellenistic astrologer but I find your comment interesting and so too I imagine would others who use those systems.