Solar Arcs

Night Sky

Solar Arcs

Post by Night Sky »

Does anyone use solar Arcs? I know about progressions, and these seem to be relevant.

But I recently met astrologers who use Solar Arc method more than progression.

I have tried to look at Solar Arc method using my own natal chart but found that the Arc seems to coincide with events that are about a year out... so a degree or more out of orb, usually after the Solar Arc to natal conjunction.

Just wondering if anyone has any examples, or can say that it does work 100%.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Solar Arcs

Post by admin »

Yes, I use Solar Arcs but, like you, have found that they tend to show a 'general' time period, rather than a specific one. I suspect that they need transits and/or progressions to 'trigger' the planetary combination. I've also found them helpful with regard to rectifying a chart (Luminaries and Planets with Asc/Desc/MC/IC).

Noel Tyl's book, appropriately named: "Solar Arcs" Llewellyn Publications 2001, has some very interesting and helpful descriptions. For eg:
"The arc will be a background consideration for almost a year. This is not a weak spot in the measurement system, i.e., away from chronological specificity - rather, it is a valid reflection of the gradualism of development of so much that drives our life. Things normally develop over time. (When does someone's divorce begin, for example? Last week? Last month? Last year? Two years ago? Before the marriage?")
Ah yes, and having just said this and then pulled out his book from shelf to respond here,(bit of 'synchronicity' there - love that 'synchronicity' thing), he goes on to say:
"The background consideration of the arc is triggered - often with extraordinary specificity by accompanying transits (and often the Secondary Progressed Moon..."
He also points out the differences in the meaning of the 'arc' between the particular planets involved. For eg: whether it's Mercury to Saturn, or Saturn to Mercury (and am assuming here that he's referring to applying or separating -something you were mentioning with regard to Synastry - hmmm...think I'll have to read it again!).
IMHO, he tends to overcomplicate the issues, and some of his descriptions, I feel, tend to be a bit...convoluted. However, having said that, it is still an extremely good and clearly well researched source.

(p.s. I actually had my chart done by him in the early '80's!).
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
Night Sky

Post by Night Sky »

Thanks for your reply and your research, I just found that when I did my solar arc, it didn't really correspond to things that well. Maybe it was a couple of years out.

I am still not sure.

I know someone that uses the arc a lot.

In the beginning though I thought it was odd that you would progress the outer planets by the same amount as the Sun.

But then the whole idea of progressions is a little odd to comprehend in the first place. I mean, how does it work, converting a day into a year? Strange no?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Progressions don't work the same way as Solar Arcs. I would add that I'm not an authority on Progressions, but basically, using the ephemeris, you count the days from your date of birth, to your current age. eg. if you were born say on 20th Sept. 1980, you would be 28 now, so in the ephemeris, you would count forward 28 days, and would arrive at the planetary placements on the 18th October of 1980.

For the House Cusps, you add your age to the MC,(count forward at 1 deg. per year...eg. if you had say, 9 degs of Gemini on the MC, then in a Table of Houses - you would count forward 28 deg. which would give you 7 degs. of Cancer on the MC, and then you would look at the latitude of your birth in that Table of Houses - according to whichever House system you use - to see where the house cusps are. (You probably know this already, but am mentioning it as you said that
In the beginning though I thought it was odd that you would progress the outer planets by the same amount as the Sun.
and I may have misunderstood about your knowledge of Progressions.)

This is a very simplistic description. (Hopefully our Progressions expert, janedeflorez, will be back soon and explain it more ).

Solar arcs are counting the years between the individual planets, and between planets to Asc/Desc/MC/IC. If for eg. you have say, 28 degrees between Sun and Uranus, then, around the age of 28 you would (theoretically) experience a strong need for independence, and a breaking away from what has become 'static' or from ways that no longer work for you. If the Sun is 28 degrees from the MC, then at age 28, there may be a period where you become recognised in your profession, and/or have confidence to move ahead in your vocation. It could also mean recognition by a parent. It all depends on the 'state' of the planet at birth.

For eg, and going back to Hitler's chart,
During the final days of the war in 1945, as Berlin was being invaded by the Red Army, Hitler married Eva Braun.[3] Less than 24 hours later, the two committed suicide in the Führerbunker.
(Wikipedia). His Mercury at 25 Aries, was 55 degs. (Years) from his 'Black Moon' in the 20th deg. of Gemini in the 8th House. Mercury rules his 9th and 11th and is the dispositor of his 'Black Moon' in Gemini. Hmmm. Will have to ponder on that.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
Blucoastal

Post by Blucoastal »

Is this between Solar Arc planets and SA angles? Not to Natal Midheaven, IC etc..
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Blucoastal,

Apologies for delay in responding. Your query re Solar Arcs':

They 'work' between both planets and angles, i.e. between planets and also Ascendant/Descendant, Midheaven (10th House Cusp) and IC (4th House Cusp). In other words, the S/A between a planet and any of the angles should result in a relevant energy or situation relevant to those planets and angles.

Hope this helps. Please ask further if you wish to do so and I will attempt to assist.

Best,
Admin.