Progressed Charts

janeflorez

Progressed Charts

Post by janeflorez »

I am not sure how many people in this forum use Progressions. I am sure many of you are more experienced than me in this, but I am just going to put down the basic facts that I know or have learned. The words “grandmother” and “eggs” may come to mind!

When examining a chart looking for presenting issues or the current situation of the client (or myself), I look to the chart progressed to the present day.

I look at the Progressed Moon (as this is the moving item - 1 degree per month) and the aspects it is making to house cusps, planets and any other item one may care to add on (Arabic Parts, Fixed Stars, Chiron etc.). This usually gives me quite a clear picture of what is going on at the time and how long it is going to go on for.

Then you can, if required, deepen the picture by overlaying the natal chart or look how the Big Guys (Pluto, Saturn etc) are involved in terms of a cycle or a developmental point of view.

I was told by a venerable astrologer that if something strong was happening in the Progressed Chart, that I would see it represented three times, in different ways. One could adopt that idea if unsure about putting forward a “prediction”!

I would be happy to hear other people’s views on Progressions.

Jane de Florez
London Sunday 13 July 2008
BIGRAVEN13
Senior

Re: Progressed Charts

Post by BIGRAVEN13 »

Progression is not something I have looked at much at all, but I am interested to see what you offer as an addition to my own experience with using transits. I have never paid overly much attention to the ephemeral transits of fast moving planets as to me they seem to represent more transitory mood than deeper transformative energies. Hence my focus has been on the big ones, Jupiter to Pluto, and often including Chiron which in spite of its small size and haphazard orbit seems to punch above its weight. As I said, in response to an earlier post of yours, I suspect broad principles apply regardless of the particular dynamics of planetary movement and placement.

Good to have you on board.
"Free will is the ability to do gladly that which one must do" C G Jung
janeflorez

Post by janeflorez »

I certainly agree about Chiron. I have Chiron on the ascendant so it is always important for me to keep an eye on "him". Otherwise, "he" can pull some maverick punches when I am not looking, especially in public!

I would be interested to hear of your try-outs with progressions on clients, or your own chart, even looking retrospectively on the last year's activity, to see if you find them useful.
BIGRAVEN13
Senior

Post by BIGRAVEN13 »

janeflorez wrote:I certainly agree about Chiron. I have Chiron on the ascendant so it is always important for me to keep an eye on "him". Otherwise, "he" can pull some maverick punches when I am not looking, especially in public!

I would be interested to hear of your try-outs with progressions on clients, or your own chart, even looking retrospectively on the last year's activity, to see if you find them useful.
Yes, about Chiron. I have him Trined to Sun/Pluto and Squared to Saturn/Mercury, plus Quincunx Asc.

Over the past year or so I have been undergoing a major transit of Pluto (Sag/8) squaring my Moon's Nodes (Pis/11, Vir/5) and Quincunx Venus (Can/3). It has been one hell of a year. So, how would I approach the contribution of progressions in such a situation. Would they, from your earlier comment about the Moon, provide the more particular timing of events in the broader scenario set by the Pluto issues?
janeflorez

Post by janeflorez »

Strange Big Raven - in my post on the Quincunx matter, I have mentioned my long Pluto transit across the Sun and other planets. Just quickly touching on that which might help you, my Pluto transit involved resolving a relationship that I thought had finished long ago. I was absolutely obliged to go back, re-experience and eventually let go of it (it had obviously been active for me unconsciously. The Pluto transit also completely reorganised my working life. Pluto was a great friend to me because I was in a very comfortable rut which I knew was not right for me, but could not see any way out. The "way out" came in the strangest way, through dreams, which I could not ignore. Pluto is always looking for us to achieve our highest potential, even on a personal level - even when we think we have already achieved that, Pluto will dredge up more from you. You will eventually say to yourself "wow, how did I get here?"

As regards your progressed chart, I think that it will show you in more detail which areas are being dealt with by Pluto and yes, the timing of things and the practicalities, (the impacts on jobs, home, relationships etc.) I presume you have an astro programme to work with. If not, let me know and I can set it up for you and post it to you.

I wish you all luck with this!

Jane
BIGRAVEN13
Senior

Post by BIGRAVEN13 »

Thanks Jane,

I have Pluto conj Sun across the IC Pluto in '3", Sun in "4", so Mr Pluto is an old friend of mine. I never can really get in to too much of a rut or he's on my case.

I have learnt to welcome his intrusions as they always take me to new places and renewal. As in the Elusinian Mysteries.
The ego may tremble but the whole being knows the outcome will be worth the trial and tribulations.

Off to be for now.

I have Solar Fire, thanks, I can set it up.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi SaggiMC,

Another excellent link which I would recommend to others looking for assistance re this matter.

Thanks.

Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
Kernowerno

Post by Kernowerno »

I just googled 'progressed venus to natal 12 hse' and a page appeared showing interpretations for all the planets progressing into the 12th. For progressing Sun it offered the options for both 1st to 12th and 11th to 12th. My question is this; how does the sun progress from the 1st to the 12th? Surely the sun never goes retrograde? Or is it a case of Sun progressing slower than houses?
I don't need to be someone. I just need to be me!
Kannon

Post by Kannon »

I use secondary progressions on a regular basis in my work, including the progressions of declinations. After experimenting with a layered approach which also looked to solar arcs, I have dropped the latter in favor of just secondary progressions since these were original transits in the early days and weeks of life projected onto our future via an elegant earth-based metaphor of day-for-a-year (one rotation of Earth around its axis becomes equivalent to one orbit of it around its solar system axis, the Sun). There is no symbolism involved except that earth-based time metaphor.

I use the term 'symbolic fiction' to describe progression methods that don't stick to actual planetary movements as indicated by nature. No matter how precisely I or someone else may calculate them, I don't want to substitute my symbolic judgment for nature's real movements of the planets.

The progressed aspects that are most active at any time are not based on what are 'major' aspects or those most readily visible, but are the aspects closest to culmination no matter how major or minor the aspect. This has led me to manage progressions through the aspectarian and list of declinations so that no aspect within 0°05' of culmination is missed. When significant life events take place it is always when a window of opportunity is opened by at least one exact (culminated) progressed aspect (orb=0°00'), or at least two near culmination (less than 05' orb). This hones in on what progressed aspects are truly most active in a person's chart at any given time.

This has made secondary progressions are indispensable in my rectification work. They are so reliable when used in this fashion that they've led me to discover what I have termed internal chart rectifying metrics. These are the secondary progressions of planets in culminating aspect (major or minor) to faster moving natal planets/points that verify a natal figure within a certain range over the Asc (depending on the natal planet/point involved). The progressed to natal aspect will match life events during the period (of months or years) that correlates to a particular radix figure, often pointing to a narrow arc range or even the degree over the Asc. Multiple internal chart rectifying metrics over a lifetime can layer in such a way as to pin the radix virtually to the minute of arc over the Asc. Not everyone's chart has active internal metrics at any given time, and not every chart will be certain to have them, since they require culminating progressed to natal aspects.

This is based on planetary movements that will vary based on the date of birth, etc, but these are the average arc movements of the planets while an average of 30° or one sign passes over the Asc (at least near equatory or between the tropic of Cancer and Capricorn):

Sun 0°05' per sign over Asc
Moon 1° - 1°10'
Mercury and Venus, about the same as Sun, but varies more (with retrogrades, etc)
Mars 02-03'
From there we get variations and much slower speed, so that Jupiter and outwards are the best planets to watch in progression for these major or minor aspects (including declination) to natal planets/points.

Slower progressed planets to slower natal/progressed planets don't make good rectification metrics because they are not pinned to a narrow range of arc movement over the radix Asc.

I use Fred Bickum's Declinations Aspect Calculator freeware [ sbastro.com ] to quickly calculate the minor aspects in declination (15, 22.5, 30, 45°, etc). I have found them to be quite real and active when near culmination, so I include them in every rectification effort. I know this is pretty technical advanced stuff, but hey, Fred's DAC is freeware, so take advantage and see for yourself!

The universe is truly complex, layered, precise, and amazing!
Soul Stars Astrology by the declinations guy
expert birth chart rectification
https://kannonmcafee.wordpress.com/
Noel Eastwood
Site Admin

Post by Noel Eastwood »

Kannon, when I was doing professional readings on a regular basis I used Sec progressions a lot too, it's nice to see your informative post.