House systems

Which ones work best for you and, why? Equal House; Prophyry; Natural Graduation; M-House; Campanus; Regiomontanus; Morinus; Axial Rotation; Zenith (Horizontal); East Point; Alcabitus; Placidus; Birth Place; Topocentric; ...these are quoted styles from Ralph William Holden's book: "The Elements of House Division"1977, Camelot Press. Would appreciate any or all responses to these house systems.
admin
Site Admin

House systems

Post by admin »

Have worked with many systems over a lot of years. I feel/think all of these systems are 'right'. Each one is relevant to a particular person, matter, time, situation and place.
In terms of current charts, I found Topocentric to be the best. Unfortunately, took forever to work it out with reeelly a lot of tedious calculations for each chart. Inevitably there is somewhere to find it now on Internet. (Went/came back to the easier Placidus, and Koch).

A bit too much to continue to pursue at this time. Apologies. :cry: :oops:
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
BIGRAVEN13
Senior

Re: House systems

Post by BIGRAVEN13 »

Have worked with many systems over a lot of years. I feel/think all of these systems are 'right'. Each one is relevant to a particular person, matter, time, situation and place.
In terms of current charts, I found Topocentric to be the best. Unfortunately, took forever to work it out with reeelly a lot of tedious calculations for each chart. Inevitably there is somewhere to find it now on Internet. (Went/came back to the easier Placidus, and Koch).

I have looked into several but keep coming back to Koch. I believe that there's a subjective aspect to how we choose to work with house systems because they are all so different, except maybe Placidus and Koch. For me the convincing factor was how Koch works for the charts of me and my wife. Both of us have approximate times of birth and Koch allows me to make sense of our house placements when adjusting to find the best fit.

Unfortunately there is no way to be completely objective in this matter for a number of reasons including the complexities of high latitudes, addressed by Topocentric, and the vagaries of times of birth which means most charts are inevitably a bit of guesswork and experience when it comes to houses.
"Free will is the ability to do gladly that which one must do" C G Jung
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Apparently no-one here (other than two of us) has no specific House System they prefer to work with. :shock: Hmmm.

Please do tell which system you work with, and why.

Thanks.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
abigail

Post by abigail »

I use placidus because those are the bppks I have: my tracher is a student of Max &
Adell Fos Heindel.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Abigail. I used (and still do use) Placidus for the same reasons. However, I add 'Topocentric' at times for other reasons.
LeeRutland

Post by LeeRutland »

I have always used Placidus by default, and being suspicious in general of all the argument surrounding hose systems, and none of the given rationale being of any sense to me when I read them.

I have gradually leaned towards a Quadrant type of looking at a chart, giving more emphasis to that than being peculiar about what house a planet was actually in. It works fairly well, and gives an emphasis to the original idea of houses, actually.

I....in theory.....have always favored the Whole Sign system, as it seems to make more "sense", but some technicalities have kept me in Placidus, technicalities like actual manifestation in 6th vs 7th implementation and occupation choices.

However, I have recently seen some things that make me want to consider the Whole Sign system again. so I continue to play with it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

maheshpandit wrote:I am aware of the house systems, though you can check with the astrology experts which is mentioned in the site below.
Hi maheshpandit,
Welcome and thanks for your replies.

I would mention that you omitted to add the 'site below' you mention.

Thanks,
Admin.
Chris

Post by Chris »

As a matter of interest, where do I find out how to calculate house positions for the various systems? I use the equal house system for simplicity, but the most popular seems to be Placidus, I would therefore like to be able to use this system for comparison. :?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can download a small Free version of 'Solar Fire' at http://www.esotech.com.au/products/solarspark2.html
If you don't wish to do this, just go into www.astrotheme.com who will set up any chart free for you using Placidus.

A really good and comprehensive book on House Systems (tho' I don't know if it's still available) is: The Elements of House Division" by Ralph William Holden, Publisher: L.N. Fowler & Co. Ltd. (Sometimes you can pick up 2nd hand books like this on the Internet. Just type the title into your Google, or other Search Engine toolbar.)

Best,
Admin.
Astroman

Post by Astroman »

I prefer Just to use placidus then add 5 degrees to the house sign then go back a sign. After much thorough knowledge seeking and thourough research it appears that for my birth chart, placidus is incorrect since I took the information that I read from the interpretations of the houses in the signs in placidus and took on an experimentation and related the actions and themes of the placidus to my lifes reality, then took the information I read from the interpretations of the houses in the signs 25 degrees before the placidus house signs and I was SHOCKED. The one thing that standed out the most for me was my rising sign, Cancer, not Leo :) he's intercepted.