A question about vedic/Indian astrology - the moon

For Beginners to Advanced Students or other Members.

Moderators: Pem, Hamid

yuurei94

A question about vedic/Indian astrology - the moon

Post by yuurei94 »

As I've been becoming increasingly interested in Vedic astrology lately (due to me finding out my moon sign is Pisces), I have been concerned with how the moon is regarded in this system.
From my research, I've come to understand the moon is the most important planet in Vedic/Indian astrology (in most systems, at least), and is used as the horoscope.
However, I'm still a little unsure of what it completely influences. The most common theme I've come across is that it governs our emotions, mind and intuition. I've heard some also say that it represents the soul/heart, but I've also heard this of the sun sign.
My main reason for being concerned about this is that after learning I am a Piscean Moon, it all made so much sense to me. I found it perfectly describing who I am. It's as if they were spilling the contents of my own soul (to be a bit dramatic) when describing the Pisces Moon.
I, honestly, feel this placement IS me. I identify so much with Pisces (in both Western and Vedic astrology), that my sun sign in the Vedic system doesn't resonate so much (it's a Libra). I've felt so happy and uplifted after learning this about myself lately.
So to get to the point, I guess, my question would be: is the moon the planet of the soul, who you are, in Vedic astrology (or sub-systems)? If one was to tell someone their sign using Vedic astrology, would you say your sun sign or moon sign?

Thanks for tolerating my rambling. :P
Rakshasa

Re: A question about vedic/Indian astrology - the moon

Post by Rakshasa »

Your post is old. Likely you will not read this comment. Look into your Nakshatras. Look into the Rashi and Nakshatra for your Moon then Asc. For me my Sun rules tge Rashi(sign) of my Moon, therefore I look at it with more importance. Hope the universe sends this message to you and you find the answer that you are seeking.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Vedic astrology is based on moon,the dasa system etc.
Basically the present calender is used for convenience,as very few follow vedic calender {at least in the urban areas}
In India the more you go into the remote areas the more you will hear people talking about Indian system.In india astrologers use empheris based on moon.
The word India also comes from the word Indu meaning moon.
I hope it adds a little to the post by Rakshasa.

Hamid Sheikh
Hamid
Interest in Timing Events
RAINBOW

Post by RAINBOW »

Moon is all the things you mentioned in your post. What also helped me understand the Moon in a more practical way was from a western astrologer who mentioned that our subjective perception is our Moon. How we are percieving our life and the universe as a whole is seen through the Moon. When the Moon is afflicted, the subjective perception of the person is skewed which ultimately hampers one's mindset and thinking ability. When the Moon is stable when it is exalted in Taurus - the person has a stable and steady mind and has the capacity to deal with new experiences. Moon seems to play very important role in one's ability to adjust to changes in life. Very afflicted Moon causes rigidity and the person simply cannot handle and adjust to changing life experiences and as a result can cause a lot of suffering. Lonely Moons such as kemadruma yoga shows that the person is not ready or does not feel supported when new experiences enter the life. Unless the yog gets canceled by having a planet in an angle - the Moon can feel very alone and cause mental anxiety.

Moon also plays important role in one's ability to emotionally connect to things and people; wherever it sits in the chart. If you notice that people with good Moon has more emotional intelligence and this helps in dealing with the challenges that the other planets bring.