Lilith's Chart and a proffered game

This area is for those who wish to ask questions about, or to discuss astrological theory. ​ ​P​lease feel free to drop in and ask questions, add comments and answer queries here.
Lilith78

Re: Lilith's Chart and a proffered game

Post by Lilith78 »

The third house influences me in terms of my Rising Gemini is a rather complicated situation. Firstly, I am not all that familiar with the Placidus System, with teh potential exception that the chart I provided uses the Placidus System. This means, I am not sure what exactly determines what goes in my third house. This in term means I don't understand the underlying logic.

If this were a final, and I was back in school, I would look at the hints. The first hint is that Mars is in Cancer. Mars is in my 3rd House. The second hint is the outermost wheel. In this, I can see the 3rd house begins when Cancer is 16 degrees and 12 seconds. The 3rd House ends when Leo is in 8 degrees and 55 seconds.

If in my case, Sagittarius is my descendant and it falls into the Seventh House, this suggests this is the house of partnerships. The underlying logic is the first house represents the self. The house opposite the house of the self is the house of partnerships.

Here is where I start guessing heavily. Please let me know through experimentation how much I am getting right. Cancer is semisextile to Gemini, please know this is a big generalization. Just as Gemini is trine to Libra. Semisextile is no where near as challenging as a square or an opposition, but it is still challenge. However, even though Cancer and Gemini are semisextile, these two houses are not. Houses 1 and 3 are not neighbors. This is the extant of my knowledge. I am not sure how the third house relates to Rising Gemini.

However, something I did read, with regards to Cancer in Mars, is this influences how I affect others. With my Cancer in Mars, I am able to subtly persuade others, by bringing up the same point again and again. Eventually, like the lapping of waves on a cliff, I wear down their defenses and get my point across. So in terms of definitions, my Rising Sign determines what face I show to the world. If my Rising Sign determines what face I show to the world and my Cancer in Mars determines my ability to get a point across, then my rising sign determines how benign that point probably will be. In the case of Gemini (being a dualistic Sign), my point could manipulate my audience for selfless or ego-driven reasons. How close am I, so far?

I am guessing I am off by a lot, because my idea of Gemini is substandard.
Noel Eastwood
Site Admin

Post by Noel Eastwood »

You did well, Gemini sits naturally on the 3rd cusp and Mars now resides inside the 3rd, although in Cancer. It shows you do argue and wear people down with your arguments. So yes, nice work. Mars in the 3rd could also be argumentative to the point of becoming overly emotional as well.
Lilith78

Post by Lilith78 »

When you said in terms of Gemini Rising you were referring to what happened on the cusp of the third house in my birthchart? Luckily, I was able to touch on what you were expecting.

I was just reading the basics for each sign, but I have been focusing on one sign in particular. This sign Gemini, is both a mutable sign and an Air sign. As an Air sign, Gemini "takes a rational viewpoint." I wish to know what this means. Perhaps I am taking a rational viewpoint right now, because I am openly admitting I am not sure what this means. So if you want to use this post as an example, feel free.
Noel Eastwood
Site Admin

Post by Noel Eastwood »

If we look at the basic horoscope, Aries 1st House; Taurus 2nd House, Gemini 3rd House

So, naturally, Gemini has an affinity with the 3rd House, that's why we call it a Gemini House or Mercury House. Of course, Mercury rules Gemini so the combination of Gemini, Mercury and 3rd House always goes together. Any planet in the 3rd House will be influenced by this combination. Also, Air is the over riding feature of these three.

Gemini sits on your Ascendant, so you are very Gemini, plus your 3rd House has Mars inside it, Mars is now manifesting his qualities thru your 3rd, Air house.

So, how does Mars do that? You've already explained that he is argumentative, wants to win arguments all the time, will brow beat an opponent to win at all costs etc. We can modify how Mars operates by looking at his sign, Cancer, so he won't be too firey or aggressive in that sign, but perhaps more manipulative. Then we look at the aspects, the lines and relationships he has with other planets and then his own rulership of Aires, where Aries sits in the chart.
Lilith78

Post by Lilith78 »

It does make sense that Mars enjoys brow beating others. something I have been subconsciously aware of for a while now is how little I like others brow beating me. I would love it if people did not keep bringing up the same point again and again and again. This kind of behavior feels a lot like coercion. The fact I am not sure how to use this ability probably means my brow beating is part of my shadow. It is an aspect of myself, I try not to use, but eventually it trips me up. Something I know I have read about is that when part of your birthchart becomes your shadow, then you are liable to project this aspect of your chart onto others. I am guessing this is what is happening to me. So if I wish to use this ability of mine benignly how would you recommend I use it? Secondly, do you honestly believe that when I only use this ability for good, that others will stop brow beating me?

Lastly, I was not aware that Cancer is manipulative. However, I am aware of how manipulative I can be. Plus, it is entirely possible to make being manipulative a good thing. For example if I know someone needs to drink water, but for whatever reason refuses to drink it, I can (at least theoretically) manipulate them into drinking it. I could find out why they refuse to drink it. Then when I find the real reason they refuse, I can strip them of their reason to refuse drinking it. Course stripping them of the reason is a mixed blessing. On the one hand I rob them of their free will by arguing with them until they submit unto me. On the other hand, I get them to do what they need to do. The best way to get them to drink is not to invalidate them, but instead to validate them.

<to be continued...>
Lilith78

Post by Lilith78 »

It has been a while since the last time I posted. I was just reading all the posts in this thread. One post in particular caught my eye. This one had to do with the equal house system. I have several questions in regards to this system:
1. In the equal house system, how are the houses calculated?
2. What websites offer an equal house system chart free of charge?
3. Mathematically speaking, is it quite straight forward to draw an Equal House System Chart by hand?

I believe I know what this post is telling me. Unfortunately, I am not positive. This is why I wish to ask about the post. So if you would not mind, please look at how I echo what was said and let me know if I have captured what you are saying in my own words.
4. Lastly,
Lilith, a simple tip for you, if you use the Equal House system you don't need to do any calculations to equalise the Houses, they'll all be the same size.
Are you telling me, that it is not necessary to subtract the degrees in the Rising Sign from the other signs?

Thank you for reading this post and for answering my numerous questions.
Noel Eastwood
Site Admin

Post by Noel Eastwood »

Lilith, in astrology all the signs are 30 degrees but calculating houses is varied according to the particular system used. Back in the dark ages a monk called Placidus (I think he was a monk) developed this system that has been used by western astrologers since. The main reason we still use it is because you don't need to be a maths whiz to calculate and draw up a chart, the tables use logarithms and tables are readily available. I was taught to draw up a chart as a student of astrology by using these same tables.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_(astrology)

If we look at a circle we know that it is 360 degrees, and if we have 12 houses then each house should be 30 degrees wide. So mathematically 360 / 12 = 30

If we used Placidus (or most other systems) they could be any size. BUT if we stay with Equal House they stay the same 30 degrees regardless of position on the planet surface.

Equal House system uses 30 degrees per house, they are all the same size, and they all start with the same degree as the Ascendant. So if your Ascendant is 28 degrees Capricorn then all the houses start with 28 degrees. Remember, every zodiac sign is 30 degrees anyway.

1st house = 28 deg Cap
2nd House = begins at 28 deg Aqu
3rd House = begins at 28 deg Pisc
4th House = begins at 28 deg Aries
etc.

We now have every house the same size, 30 degrees.

I hope that helps explain it.

EDIT: I fixed all the spelling mistakes - at least I hope I did :)
Lilith78

Post by Lilith78 »

Dear Noel,

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. It is quite rare, people match my hopes. So this is my way of saying, "Thank you very much for that well thought out post." I am glad to have blessed by you.

-Lilith
Noel Eastwood
Site Admin

Post by Noel Eastwood »

my pleasure Lilith, it's confusing, but having to do the maths by hand for many years it does get easier. Thank God for computers these days.
Lilith78

Post by Lilith78 »

Long time no see guys. I hope you did not miss me too much. Something I recently heard from an astrologist, "Gemini is about the pathway. Virgo is about the destination." Firstly, I am not sure if I heard them right, so if it is anyone's bad it is mine. I do see some truth in this, because Gemini is about out of the box thinking, thanks in large part to wander thoughts, or what I call thought muses. Gemini, typically has a lot of diverging thoughts. If one has a destination, then a map provides a means to get to the destination. In Gemini case it may ditch the map altogether in favor of picking the path that seems right to Gemini at the time.

Whereas Virgo, from my quite limited understanding caters to analysis. Analysis typically has a focal point. For example, I could tell you I am analyzing Virgo. In regards to analysis, Virgo is quite broad. It would probably be more appropriate to analyze how compatible Virgo is with Gemini. then I could come up with the potential pitfalls of this relationship. Plus, I could come up with what gifts have been given to these two signs that would loan themselves well to furthering this relationship. Lastly, I could analyze the things they have in common and what works to strengthen this relationship. You see how easy it was, right? I was able to come up with a destination: analyzing the potential relationship between Gemini and Virgo. I even came up with a plan for how to analyze this potential relationship. All this because my thoughts had a focal point.

When viewed in the way I said what I said earlier, it makes sense why someone would say, "Gemini is about the pathway. Virgo is about the destination." Thoughts? How warm am I in my assessment about the two signs in general?