On what basis some of the folks in Western Astrology follows Equal house division?!

This area is for those who wish to ask questions about, or to discuss astrological theory. ​ ​P​lease feel free to drop in and ask questions, add comments and answer queries here.
ViveK123

On what basis some of the folks in Western Astrology follows Equal house division?!

Post by ViveK123 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:23 am

Hey there guys, Namaste, Vivek here!

I follow Sidereal equal house division which was subscribed by our ancient seers from India & it's Vaidikam (or Vedic Astrology) & I follow this.
I know the fact that our Śrī Noel too subscribe Equal house division.

Okay, before me getting introduced to Astrology, I'm a Physics graduate student from India's most prestige institute. Math & Physics are my passion!

Let's get into the concept, Our Planet Earth is actually Oblate Spheroid in shape. So, this celestial object when subjected to verify its symmetric nature, it reveals that each part when cut into 12 pieces will not be identical w.r.t. each other.
That's why some of the Western folks & K.P. guys or some other etc guys uses unequal house division like Placidus & etc... Cool. However, our ancient sages haven't recommended this at all!... As they were very clear in stating to use Equal house division w.r.t. results are concerned!

But now, what my interest is that, I just would like to know why some of the folks who follows Western Astrology subscribe to "Equal house division" Is it because this house division is quite close to the results w.r.t. real life are concerned?! :) Or is there any other reason for this?

I'm just curious about it!

Thanks in anticipation. :)

Noel Eastwood
Site Admin

Re: On what basis some of the folks in Western Astrology follows Equal house division?!

Post by Noel Eastwood » Mon May 25, 2020 7:19 am

Hi Viv, that is a very good question. I will try to answer by giving you my perspective.

Students of geomancy have long sought the keys of knowledge to understand the nature of the universe. One pathway is astrology but it is just one path. These students traveled the world seeking teachers, gurus who would show them, teach them these answers. Some studied one school of astrology from one master while others studied under another. Because travel was dangerous and expensive most students could only learn from one master in a lifetime.

Alexander the Great founded the city of Alexandria prior to the Christian era, this city became the trading hub of the Mediterranean and attracted not only merchants but learned men and women in all fields of science. The Library of Alexander became the hub of science and was where astrologers and astronomers, who were basically the same people, sought to teach and study.

From this melting pot we have the basics of astrology - 7 planets, 12 signs, 12 houses and the geometric aspects between them.

The earliest house divisions were equal houses which could either be calculated from the Midheaven or the Ascendant. The earliest schools also taught that the houses could begin at 0 degrees of the Ascendant sign. The Asc and MH then became points in the chart and not the house cusps.

I use Placidus and Koch mostly but have used Equal House and Whole Sign, I like them all but am still trying to work out which is the most accurate. I am still a student of astrology and maybe one day before I pass over to the great horoscope in the sky, I will find out the best house division system.

ViveK123

Re: On what basis some of the folks in Western Astrology follows Equal house division?!

Post by ViveK123 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:33 pm

Hey Noel Namaste!

Nice to hear from you.
Noel Eastwood wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:19 am
The earliest schools also taught that the houses could begin at 0 degrees of the Ascendant sign. The Asc and MH then became points in the chart and not the house cusps.
I agree!... Even our ancient sages have recommended the same w.r.t. results are concerned! And I've contemplated the correctness behind this based on logic & unbiased experience. Hence I subscribe to this view.

Anyway, thanks for your answer. :)
Take care!

Noel Eastwood
Site Admin

Post by Noel Eastwood » Tue May 26, 2020 7:05 am

Namaste Viv, astrology is fascinating, a true science as well as art. Many people think that they can learn it in a lifetime but the older I get the more I realise how much I have yet to learn. The ancients knew so much more than we do today particularly in regards to using astrology for prediction.

Please correct me if I get this wrong but I see western astrology as more inclined towards the study of the native's psychology whereas vedic / sidereal astrology is more inclined towards prediction of possible patterns in the future. I would be interested in your opinion on this, thanks.

ViveK123

Post by ViveK123 » Tue May 26, 2020 12:51 pm

Dear Noel, Namaste!

Dear Noel, let me be clear in one thing. People think that Vedic Is just sidereal. It's wrong. Our ancients did recommend us Tropical as well! But It's for different purpose.
Noel Eastwood wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:05 am
I see western astrology as more inclined towards the study of the native's psychology whereas vedic / sidereal astrology is more inclined towards prediction of possible patterns in the future. I would be interested in your opinion on this, thanks.
Anyway, coming to the point, Frankly speaking Vaidika Jyotiṣam (Vedic Astrology) is actually a vedāṅga. Aṅga is limb. So, Vedic Astrology (Vaidika Jyotiṣam) is limb of a Veda. Veda comes from the root word, Vid, To know or Vit. Vit is the Knower. It's education or Vidya. Veda are also called as śruti (What is heard). It's apouruṣeya, meaning It's isn't created or written by a man/person. It is impersonal! It's God itself. It's Consciousness. Veda is Wisdom. It's the Knowledge of self. It's the true self itself!

So, Vaidika Jyotiṣam (Vedic Astrology) being 1 limb among the 6 limbs of Veda isn't merely deals with prediction as such. I'd say the notion of prediction is the next level from what actually it's meant to.

Vaidika Jyotiṣam (Vedic Astrology) is actually meant to realize our true self. Hence the prediction comes secondary. Just think, how can we even predict without knowing our self? But you often see most of the people predicting many things. True, It's like knowing theory & you are applying. But when we are in the process of self enquiry, we understand all these things profoundly.

Vaidika Jyotiṣam (Vedic Astrology) has taught me to accept things the way they are without any regrets, no matter what. It's of course harder to accept. But time eventually teaches this. Vaidika Jyotiṣam (Vedic Astrology) does exactly the same thing.
Vaidika Jyotiṣam (Vedic Astrology) stresses self to the core!
Noel Eastwood wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:05 am
astrology is fascinating, a true science as well as art.
It's an art for sure. But can't compare with the Science we know... As I'm a Physics student, I naturally tend to ask, how Graha (most people call it as Planet, which is wrong) affects & effect us in every realm. We Physics students understand nature mostly through interactions of bodies, the fundamental forces & so on. But our ancients haven't stated why Graha effects us in every realm, the way it works & so on. I meant, what forces are responsible for effecting Human-body Mind complex. Most people understand it wrong comparing merely with Gravitation of what we know. But its not.
Vaidika Jyotiṣam (Vedic Astrology) with Upaniṣadic understanding makes us to realize the actual things. They are pure Knowledge of Self. It's Wisdom in itself.

One important thing is that, Consciousness & the actual Will i.e., the Divine Will are Singular! This statement will be apparent in experience if our vision of our true self through Vaidika Jyotiṣam (Vedic Astrology) & Upaniṣadic understanding is once clear.

Upaniṣad are texts which are extracted from Veda Itself. Hence It's śruti ("what is heard")