Venus transits and exploration

For those who wish to pursue new theories based on the Old Wisdom and who wish to look more deeply into our vastly changing world from a different perspective.

Moderators: Noel Eastwood, James Strom

James Strom

Venus transits and exploration

Post by James Strom »

The transits of Venus are very rare, coming in pairs every 120 years or so. I bring this up because it has recently been the 250th anniversary of the most famous one of all.
Have you ever noticed that there is a correlation between the transits and great events in exploration?

vts_1518_geo.gif
vts_1518_geo.gif (7.64 KiB) Viewed 4509 times

Magellan was the first around the world. However, he just missed discovering a new continent.

_42345158_voyage_victoria_map416.gif
_42345158_voyage_victoria_map416.gif (26.11 KiB) Viewed 4509 times

Coincidentally, a spacecraft that explored Venus was called Magellan.

1292_Magellan_deploy.jpg
1292_Magellan_deploy.jpg (234.1 KiB) Viewed 4509 times

121 years later the last of the next pair of Venus transits occurred. By this time astrologers could predict them.

Horrocks_Venus_in_sole.jpg
Horrocks_Venus_in_sole.jpg (72.66 KiB) Viewed 4509 times

I think it gave Abel Tasman an itch for adventure.

famous-voyages-abel-tasman-and-the-discovery-of-tasmania-expedition-M5D131.jpg
famous-voyages-abel-tasman-and-the-discovery-of-tasmania-expedition-M5D131.jpg (183.56 KiB) Viewed 4509 times

130 years later and 250 years ago Captain Cook was sent on a voyage precisely to view this transit.

english-diagram-from-david-rittenhouses-observations-of-the-1769-transit-of-venus-1769-david-rittenhouse-1064-rittenhouse-1769-observation-of-venus-transit-MNWRWY.jpg
english-diagram-from-david-rittenhouses-observations-of-the-1769-transit-of-venus-1769-david-rittenhouse-1064-rittenhouse-1769-observation-of-venus-transit-MNWRWY.jpg (160.56 KiB) Viewed 4509 times

He had to go quite a way.

Transit_of_1769_Richard_A_Proctor_1.jpg
Transit_of_1769_Richard_A_Proctor_1.jpg (3.65 MiB) Viewed 4509 times

Here's the path he took.

mapa01.jpg
mapa01.jpg (47.12 KiB) Viewed 4509 times

Happy 250th!!!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Venus transits and exploration

Post by admin »

Hi James,

Thanks so much for posting this absolutely superb composite of data, events and visuals.

Whilst going through it, the thought occurred to me: Why or how it would be relevant to ‘exploration’ - which isn’t a connection I’d use for - nor associate with – Venus...at least in a geographical sense.

(Thinks to self: Hmmm...but then it’s rulership of Libra, opposite Aries - the Pioneer - adds another flavour or facet to these Venus cycles ?). Nothing as exciting as being inspired !

Thanks again James.

Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
James Strom

Post by James Strom »

I would think that its being opposite Aries is right. As a side note, yet another spacecraft to visit Venus was called Pioneer 12 or Pioneer Venus 1. Hmmmm.

Pioneer_Venus_orbiter.jpg
Pioneer_Venus_orbiter.jpg (232.96 KiB) Viewed 4493 times

There are other ones as well. Henry Morton Stanley was the most famous explorer in the nineteenth century. He was noted for saying, "Doctor Livingstone, I presume?"

Rencontre_de_Livingstone_-_How_I_found_Livingstone_(fr).png
Rencontre_de_Livingstone_-_How_I_found_Livingstone_(fr).png (657.81 KiB) Viewed 4493 times

He later found the source of the Nile after the transit.

And in our time Elon Musk founded SpaceX, with its first launch a couple years after the transit of 2004. There always seems to be about a two year delay. It takes time to prepare after the inspiration, I suppose.

Falcon_1_Flight_4_liftoff.jpg
Falcon_1_Flight_4_liftoff.jpg (55.36 KiB) Viewed 4493 times
James Strom

Post by James Strom »

I almost forgot to mention that not only is the 250th anniversary of Cook's discovery approaching, but the 500th of the start Magellan's voyage in September 2019!

Detail_from_a_map_of_Ortelius_-_Magellans_ship_Victoria.png
Detail_from_a_map_of_Ortelius_-_Magellans_ship_Victoria.png (1.35 MiB) Viewed 4493 times
James Strom

Post by James Strom »

I'll bet that not only did Captain Cook know about the transit of Venus, being that it was the ostensible reason for his mission, but that Venus would eclipse something else besides the Sun. One planet transiting or occulting another is a very rare event. The last time that has happened the year was 1818 and it won't occur again until 2065. Not only that, They often can only be seen in certain parts of the world where the sun is setting or rising at just the right time. And one part of the world where that was the case was by western Australia on August 30, 1771. Wasn't that the time Captain Cook was mapping it? I wonder.
Here's a view from where Brisbane, Australia is now from that time. Can you tell which two planets these are?
Attachments
stellarium-007.png
stellarium-007.png (55.09 KiB) Viewed 4367 times