The case for chart rectification

For those who wish to pursue new theories based on the Old Wisdom and who wish to look more deeply into our vastly changing world from a different perspective.

Moderators: Noel Eastwood, James Strom

Rapsody3

The case for chart rectification

Post by Rapsody3 »

I would like to advocate for the idea that charts must be rectified before they are analyzed. Here are the arguments:

The astrological factors in a chart, which depends on the birth time (in combination with the date, of course) seems to be far more important than the factors, which can be derived from the date alone. Two siblings, who are non-identical twins will have exactly the same horoscope, when you look at the date alone. It is only when the time is included, that the two charts becomes so different, that they can justify the differences between the non-identical twins.

Let me give an example. Caroline Knapp and Rebecca Knapp were born as two non-identical twins. Their fates, their appearances, yes, indeed everything about them, was totally different. You can find their charts and biographies here:

http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Knapp,_Caroline
http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Knapp,_Rebecca

And you can find photos of them here:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/41 ... line_Knapp
http://academicdepartments.musc.edu/phs ... ca%20Knapp

According to AstroDataBank, Rebecca Knapp was born November 8th 1959 at 23:08 in Boston, MA, and her twin sister was born the same date and the same place at 23:13. That means they would have the same ascendant and hence have very similar fates and appearances according to astrology.

It's only when you rectify the charts, the differences emerge. According to my rectifications, Rebecca was born 23:15:23, and Caroline was born November 9th at 0:10:59. This means that Rebecca was born with Leo rising and Caroline was born with Virgo rising - and that makes their charts totally different, at least when it comes to the time dependent factors.

I hope you find this subject interesting. If so, I shall be happy to demonstrate the rectification method I use, either with Rebecca's and Caroline's charts or with charts of your own preferences. Please consider what it means for e.g. research to have charts with exact birth times. As for astrological prognosis, I can asure you that they become much more precise, once the chart is rectified.
admin
Site Admin

Re: The case for chart rectification

Post by admin »

Hello Rhapsody3 and welcome.

Thank you for your thoughts on the matter of rectification.

We would very much like to hear more about your findings and methods.

Best,
Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
Rapsody3

Post by Rapsody3 »

Hi Admin, you pressed the button, and here it goes! :wink:

I come from Denmark, and this is an English speaking forum. We all know that there are huge differences between Western astrology, Indian astrology and Chinese astrology. But we seem to miss the differences within Western astrology. Danish astrology is influenced not only by Anglo-Saxon (= coming from the English speaking world) astrology, but also astrology from the German-speaking world (= Germany, Switzerland, Austria). I don't hope that I sound biased or people get the impression that I think in a very stereotypical way about other nationalities, but the German-speaking world seem to be obsessed with precision, with getting the details right - to a much larger degree than it is the case in the English-speaking culture. After all the Swiss invented the cuckoo, and it is also a Swiss astrologer, who invented the rectification method, which I use, and which is known in the German-speaking world, the Scandinavian countries and the Benelux countries - but almost unknown in the English speaking world. I am talking about Heinrich Kündig (http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/K%C ... ,_Heinrich).

Heinrich Kündig was a mathematician and an astrologer, and as far as I can understand from his writings, he made a lot of suggestions on how to make predictions and perform chart rectifications - he never said that his theory was the truth and the only truth, instead he made experiments, which eventually produced the Kündig rectification method. Heinrich Kündig is Taurus with Cancer rising, but I like to think about him as a kind of Sagittarian. Linda Goodman describes Sagittarius as a person, who sends out a lot of arrows - and eventually one of them will hit the target. The problem here is that although he bases his work on astronomy and to some degree astrological tradition, he is not astrological tradition - he is something new. And it has been my experience, when I present his method to e.g. publishers of English astrology books, that they don't like something that new.

I don't want to waste too much space about the theory behind Kündig rectification, because I am a practitioner, not at theorist. When people present theory to me, I listen impatiently and think: "Yes, yes, but does it work in practice?" With Kündig I was surprised to find something that actually works and improves the ancient art of astrology. But if you ask me about the theory, I shall present it, no problem.

You intend to go location A, and your car is being repaired, so you have to take the bus or the train. In order to do so, you look at the time table for the public transportation. The bus / train leaves at 10 AM and the next one will go at 11 AM. Anybody, who intends to go to location A, and who arrives at the station after 10 AM and before 11 AM, will go at 11 AM, right? With Kündig rectification it is very much the same, only opposite. Once you have a birth time, date and location, you can make your astrology computer programme (I use a programme called ARGUS) calculate the Kündig table for +/- 2 hours.

Let us take an example: Rebecca Knapp, presumably born November 8th 1959 at 23:08 in Boston, MA.

21 20 55 - MC 12 42 Ari ASC 29 15 Cnc
21 37 17 - MC 17 07 Ari ASC 02 28 Leo
21 53 38 - MC 21 30 Ari ASC 05 40 Leo
22 09 59 - MC 25 52 Ari ASC 08 50 Leo
22 26 20 - MC 00 10 Tau ASC 12 00 Leo
22 42 41 - MC 04 26 Tau ASC 15 10 Leo
22 59 02 - MC 08 39 Tau ASC 18 19 Leo
23 15 23 + MC 12 49 Tau ASC 21 29 Leo
00 10 59 + MC 26 37 Tau ASC 02 14 Vir
00 54 14 + MC 06 59 Gem ASC 10 38 Vir
00 54 49 + MC 07 07 Gem ASC 10 45 Vir
00 55 25 + MC 07 16 Gem ASC 10 52 Vir
00 56 01 + MC 07 24 Gem ASC 10 59 Vir
00 56 36 + MC 07 32 Gem ASC 11 06 Vir
00 57 12 + MC 07 41 Gem ASC 11 12 Vir
00 57 47 + MC 07 49 Gem ASC 11 19 Vir
00 58 23 + MC 07 58 Gem ASC 11 26 Vir
00 58 59 + MC 08 06 Gem ASC 11 33 Vir
00 59 34 + MC 08 14 Gem ASC 11 40 Vir
01 00 10 + MC 08 23 Gem ASC 11 47 Vir
02 11 29 + MC 24 58 Gem ASC 25 43 Vir

Each time in the table is called a "Kündig cut". I have already rectified the chart to 23:15:23. Does this mean that Rebecca took her first breath at exactly 23:15:23? No, it means that she was born before 0:10:59 (the following Kündig cut) and 23:15:23. Now, do you see why I say that a Kündig table works just like a train or bus table - only opposite? Anybody arriving to this physical world at a given time will inherit the most previous Kündig cut to the actual birth time - not the following cut.

How do I know that this is how it works? Over a year I made the following experiment with electional charts. Every workday I would set up two charts for the moment I left home to go to work. If I left my apartment at 7:00 I would set up a chart for the previous Kündig cut and one for the following cut. When I came home from work, I would evaluate my workday in my diary - and then I would compare my notes with the two electional charts to see which one matched the content of the notes the most. It would always be the most previous Kündig cut - not the following.

NB! I do not use Kündig rectification for horary charts.
(To be continued)
Rapsody3

Post by Rapsody3 »

If you have studied astrology, you would know that there are many techniques for making predictions. I don't reject other techniques, but when it comes to rectification I have limited myself to the following techniques:

1) Progressions
2) Transits

Ad 1)
The progressive chart actually consists of two techniques:
- Progressing the axes (so-called primary progression): 1 MC degree equals 1 year - approximately. You have to configurate the astrological computer programme to use the Kündig solar key, which sets the MC degree to the speed of the Sun the actual date you were born. (I have been told that this idea was proposed for the first time in history by Danish astronomer and astrologer Tycho Brahe, http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Brahe,_Tycho)
- Progressing the planets (so-called secondary progressions): 1 day equals 1 year. I believe this method is included in Ptolemy's "Tetrabiblos".

Ad 2)
We all know transits, since it is the most popular technique for making predictions. However, I would like to add that I include Eris and Makemake, both in the progressions and the transits. I have a separate programme for calculating Eris and Makemake.

As for aspects I use the following major ones: Conjunction, opposition, trine, square and sextile, and the following minor ones: semisquare, sesquisquare, semisextile, quinqunx and the series of noviles: 40, 80 and 160 degrees. The noviles are not included in the computer programme, instead I calculate them in my head. It's a kind of routine: I look at two planetary positions: Is there a novile? And in a second my brain says yes or no.

Noviles are not part of the astrological tradition - or are they? Originally the only aspects were Conjunction, opposition, trine, square, sextile, semisextile and quinqunx, and then Johannes Kepler added the semisquare and the sesquisquare to the collection. There is no doubt that the semisquare and the sesquisquare are so-called afflictions, i.e. tense or challenging aspects. However there has been discussions to the nature of the semisextile and the quinqunx, but if you make experiments with them, you will come to the conclusions that they are afflictions too. This means that we have an overload of afflictions in the collection of aspects. So I began to wonder, if there were harmonious aspects, which had been overlooked. I made experiments with quintiles, septiles and noviles. By experiments I mean electional charts and also analysis of personal birth charts.

I could not use quintiles for rectification purposes, but I have noticed that quintiles are important, when it comes to creative achievements and in synastry. I made a study that indicated that quintiles tell if two people are related to a degree, where sexual intercourse would mean inbreeding. I won't go into that now - but it is an interesting topic.

I could not use septiles for rectification purposes, but septiles are important in mundane events like earthquakes or massacres - two other interesting topics. What I try to say is that just because an aspect series cannot be used for rectification doesn't mean that it can be ignored.

With noviles it was different. Noviles are the harmonious counterpart to the minor afflictions: Semisquare, sesquisquare, semisextile and quinqunx.

Now we are ready to rectify the chart.
(To be continued.)
Rapsody3

Post by Rapsody3 »

I forgot to say that noviles are actually part of the astrological tradition - if you know where to look. According to John Addey's "Harmonics in Astrology" Indian astrologers have calculated the so-called Navamsa-chart for centuries. The Navamsa chart is the birth chart in the 9th harmonic.
Rapsody3

Post by Rapsody3 »

When I make a rectification for a client I usually ask for information about at least 5 rectification events. A rectification event is a major event in the person's life. Like death or a child birth, or getting a new job or passing an exam. Actually anything can be used, as long as it is a milestone in the person's life. The clients get in touch with me either by phone or by email, which means that usually I don't get a chance to actually see the client, before I rectify the chart. But a portrait photo can replace a rectification event, so that I can do with 4 rectification events and one portrait photo. I can always add one more major event to the list: Having the chart made. Consulting an astrologer is not an everyday event, it is a major event.

When it comes to celebrities, I must settle with what I can get. In Rebecca's case I have 3 events plus the portrait photo. The following rectification is for the Kündig cut 23:15:23. I always use the Placidus house system. I have experimented with other house systems (Koch, Regiomontanus), but I have concluded that Placidus is the "correct" one for Kündig rectification.

1) Having the chart done. (It doesn't matter that she isn't present and that she isn't even aware that I am working with her chart. What matters is that if she had been present, she would have had an experience with the astrologer. Life is full of opportunities not used.) I did her chart here in a suburb outside Copenhagen March 17th 2016.
2) Her sisters death, which happened June 3rd 2002 in Cambridge MA.
3) Her fathers death, which happened April 7th 1992 in Cambridge MA.

Ad 1)
Expected: An aspect with an axis (radix MC, radix ASC, progressive MC or progressive ASC) and the 11th house ruler of either the personal chart (in this case it is Mercury, since the 11th cusp is in Gemini) or the so-called natural chart: Uranus. Found: Progressive MC semisquare radix Uranus, orbis -13'. (the orbis must be within 26')

Ad 2)
Expected: An aspect with an axis (radix MC, radix ASC, progressive MC or progressive ASC) and the 2nd or 8th house ruler of either the personal chart (in this case it is Makemake and Neptune, since the 2nd cusp is in Virgo and the 8th cusp is in Pisces) or the so-called natural chart: Eris and Pluto. Found: Progressive MC semisquare progressive Neptune (orbis -3), and progressive MC novile radix Makemake (orbis -15).

Ad 3)
Expected: Same as with Ad 2). Found: None within the orbis of 26', but there are aspects with a greater orbis: Transit Pluto square radix ASC (orbis +59) and transit Eris quinqunx progressing ASC (orbis 50'). These aspects are "triggered" by other planets (in horary astrology the phenomenon is called "transfer of light"). Let's have a closer look at the aspects:

Radix ASC 21:29 Leo
Transit Pluto 22:28 Sco
Progressing Saturn 7:04 Cap

A quick calculation will tell you that transit Pluto is having a semisquare to progressing Saturn with an acceptable orbis of 24'. That means that the aspect is valid.

Progressing ASC 16:33 Vir
Transit Eris 17:23 Ari
Transit Saturn 16:27 Aqr

Transit Saturn forms a quinqunx to progressing ASC thereby transferring light from the progressing ASC to transit Eris. In other words: The aspect between transit Eris and the progressing ASC is also valid.
Rapsody3

Post by Rapsody3 »

OK, we are almost there.

The next question is: What about the other Kündig cuts in the Kündig table? When I started out in this business of rectifying charts, I would in many cases try the other cuts as well. And yes, sometimes they would also be valid. If I was doing a chart for a client, I would ask for more rectification events, until all other cuts were excluded except one, but I cannot do that with celebrity charts. Instead I must take a look at the entire radix chart to see if it makes sense - using the knowledge i have about the person in question and astrology in general.
Rebecca Knapp.jpg
Rebecca Knapp.jpg (82.45 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
Please notice that Eris and Makemake are not included in the chart depiction. Their positions are Eris 9:08 Ari and Makemake 3:14 Leo.

- Leo rising fits her portrait photo (see above). Fixed signs on the ascendant tend to have square faces. Mutable signs have triangular faces and cardinal signs have long faces. Rebacca's face is square, which matches with Leo rising and Uranus conjunct ascendant.

- I cannot explain everything in detail, but her eyebrows tells me that she has Neptune dominant - which is the case in this chart, where Neptune is in a Gauquelin sector (= the last third of the 3rd house). Her almost "invisible" glasses adds to the Neptunic impression. She is a psychologist / psychiatrist, which are also Neptunian areas.

- And then there is something Marsian about the face. If you want to find out what I mean, you would have to look up Aries in Will Eisner's book "Will Eisner's gleeful guide to living with astrology: An every-day manual for coping with people, events, and afflictions through astrology". You can get the book from Amazon, I am sure. Mars is also dominant by being in a Gauquelin sector (= the last third of the 3rd house). She is a physician, and this profession have Mars dominant according to Michel Gauquelin's research.

If I turn back to the previous Kündig cut (22:59:02) I will not have Mars dominant any more. Furthermore Saturn (a parent indicator) will be in a sesquisquare (= an afflicting aspect) to the ascendant - and her relation with her parents were harmonious.

If I move the chart 1 Kündig cut forward, the rising sign will no longer be in Leo - it will be in Virgo instead and with Pluto in conjunction to the ascendant. I instinctly know that Rebecca is not a Plutonian.

That's it, folks. The chart rectification is done. Of course there are plenty more details to the art of rectifying a chart - but this is a thread, not a book. I will pause here and wait for comments.