In recognition of 'Pixie' Pamela Colman Smith

For those who require Tarot readings or information on this subject.

Moderator: 1nluv

admin
Site Admin

In recognition of 'Pixie' Pamela Colman Smith

Post by admin »

Another excerpt from Noel Eastwood's Newsletter on Tarot:

"Pamela Colman Smith

Pixie, as she was called by her friends, was an artist as well as a member of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. Occultist Arthur Waite engaged her artistic talents to help him create his own magical tarot deck, the Waite-Smith deck (formerly known as the Rider-Waite deck). Although somewhat of a novice in esoteria lore, Pixie was none-the-less talented and well equipped to undertake such an enormous task. Her talent lay in more than drawing, she had an insight and understanding of the esoteric symbolism and imagery of the Tarot cards that have allowed her images to live on a century and more after the deck's publication.

Apparently, Arthur Waite spent considerable time advising Pixie as to his requirements for each Major Arcana card's illustration. He considered this suit to fully illustrate the ultimate guide for initiates on the path to enlightenment. He was not so enamoured of the Minor Arcana, considering them to be geomancy, fortune telling, in comparison. At this time in history there were many decks from which Pixie could draw insight and inspiration, but for the majority of the cards it appears that she had to rely on her own interpretation from the Golden Dawn's written descriptions. This would have come from the order's manual, provided by Arthur Waite himself.

Image of the waite-smith deck (Available in Newsletter - Admin)

It is through her artwork in the four suits (Minor Arcana) that Pixie shines. Her artistry and design for each card illuminates the many subtle aspects of the Tarot's magic. In my own research for writing 'The Fool's Journey Through The Tarot' series I am constantly left amazed at how insightful and illuminating Pixie's imagery really is. She draws out the true elemental nature of each suit, something only a few tarotists and illustrators have been able to do in the years since the Waite-Smith deck was published in 1909.

I shall not say more here, rather I would like to direct you to a great website if you would like to know more about this incredible lady. Pamela Colman Smith http://pcs2051.tripod.com/ ".

Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]