Different Tarot Systems

For those who require Tarot readings or information on this subject.

Moderator: 1nluv

Allan53

Different Tarot Systems

Post by Allan53 »

I'm given to understand there's a few different 'systems' of reading Tarot? Such as patterns of laying out the cards, meanings, etc. Can anyone expand on what these different systems mean/benefits and drawbacks of each? I've read a little, but it's really left me more confused than anything.

Thanks in advance!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Different Tarot Systems

Post by admin »

Hi Allan 53,

Yes, these various systems surely can get very confusing, and not least of all the number of Tarot decks available, which are growing constantly.

My advice is to choose one deck and one system of card layout, and to keep using that deck and that system (choosing whichever system you feel most comfortable with), and keep working with them so that you can get attuned to each card as it falls in the pattern of the system you choose.

I started with ‘Tarot’ before I started working with Astrology. Ended up throwing the deck away as I started to look to it for even trivial answers to everyday matters. Came back to Tarot a few years later and have, after many forays forth into the various decks and layouts, settled on the Rider-Waite Deck and the ‘Celtic Cross’ layout – which ‘suit’ me best. (I’ve acquired many different decks over the course of time: ‘The Mythic Tarot’, ‘The Merlin Tarot’, ‘The Celtic Tarot’, ’The Norse Tarot’, ‘Inner Child Cards’ Tarot, ‘The Arthurian Tarot’, ‘The Angels Tarot’, an Australian Aborigine Tarot, and – well, a few more which are around here...somewhere. However, I obtained all of these out of interest in the images and, although on occasion I do pull out of one those decks, I tend to go back to the Rider-Waite deck – not because I think it’s the ‘best’ deck, but because I feel a better ‘connection’ with it).

If you study Tarot, it is – I feel – worth trying to learn at least a little of the ‘Qabalah’ and ‘The Tree of Life’ which is relevant to the meanings of the number of each card. (This is not necessary of course, and if you have or develop a ‘feeling’ for each card in the deck of your choice, it may only confuse you. It depends on how much you want to pursue this matter).

My choice for Tarot sites is: www.aeclectictarot.com (have been a member there for 3 years, and thanks for the reminder as I haven’t been back there for at least a year!). It covers just about everything to do with Tarot. Take it easy though, as it can be a bit overwhelming – so much available there.

Good Luck!

Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
Phillip

Post by Phillip »

thank you so much for providing such a valuable information i was actually looking for some idea about tarot reading and you got me some hint. now i want to ask you from where it all got originated i mean those picture at cards what does it reflect
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh Phillip,

You do ask BIG questions. Can't possibly respond to this one here so I suggest you look at such as: http://science.howstuffworks.com/scienc ... -card6.htm (and go through all of the pages !). :roll:

Another that might assist is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarot

Many folk have devised their own Tarot versions of the years (which you will see in the link I gave previously: www.aeclectictarot.com ).

It's up to you to do the work you know, as there are no simple answers to this massive subject.

Best,
Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]