Tarot based on Alchemy

For those who require Tarot readings or information on this subject.

Moderator: 1nluv

James Strom

Tarot based on Alchemy

Post by James Strom »

After having worked on an Alchemical periodical table I devised this. Both are based on the assumption that the order in which the planets, moons, asteroids, and chemical elements were discovered is of primary importance.
Here is a Tarot deck with their correspondences to the planets, moons, asteroids, and numbers. N=Knight. For numerological purposes K=0, Q=12, Knight=11, and Jack=10.

Minor Arcana

Swords Air

1 Callisto Zirconium
2 Mimas Osmium
3 Triton Cadmium
4 Umbriel Vanadium
5 Mercury Mercury
6 Ariel Ruthenium
7 Deimos Thallium
8 Amalthea Gallium
9 Uranus Antinomy
10 Sinope (Hades) Hafnium
J Hygiea Neodymium
N Parthenope Gadolinium
Q Pallas Cobalt or Lanthanum
K Vulcan Sulfur

Wands Fire

1 Sun Gold
2 Titan Titanium
3 Jupiter Tin
4 Mars Iron
5 Dione Niobium
6 Titania Rhodium
7 Himalia (Hera) Polonium
8 Pasiphae (Poseiden) Lutetium
9 Lysithea (Demeter) Rhenium
10 Chiron Silicon
J Vesta Zinc ot Terbium
N Hebe Holmium
Q Metis Praseodymium
K Egeria Europium

Pentacles Earth

1 Io Manganese
2 Europa Molybdenum
3 Ganymede Tungsten
4 Oberon Palladium
5 Himalia (Hestia) Germanium
6 Venus Copper
7 Phoebe Scandium
8 Saturn Lead
9 Miranda Tellurium
10 Ananke (Adrastea) Boron
J Astrea Ytterbium
N Iris Samarium
Q Victoria Dysprosium
K Ceres Platinum or Cerium

Cups Water

1 Iapetus Yttrium
2 Moon Silver
3 Rhea Chromium
4 Tethys Tantalum
5 Enceladus Iridium
6 Hyperion Aluminum
7 Neptune Bismuth
8 Phobos Indium
9 Carme (Pan) Technetium
10 Nereid Selenium
J Flora Thulium
N Juno Nickel or Erbium
Q Irene Promethium
K Pluto Arsenic

Major Arcana

I will assume that these correspond with the plutoids and specifically with the elements 97 through 118.

Even though these look somewhat randomly organized they are not. If the cards are arranged on a periodic table some interesting patterns will appear. I think it was Fate that made for the order in which the planets, moons, asteroids, and chemical elements were discovered.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Tarot based on Alchemy

Post by admin »

Hi James,

Would you post the Alchemical Periodic Table here please ?

Thankyou.

Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
James Strom

Post by James Strom »

Here is a proposal for aligning almost all of the chemical elements on the periodic table with the various planets, asteroids, and moons of our Solar System. It is based on the idea that the order in which the planets and moons were discovered should be matched with the order in which the chemical elements were, within their proper categories.
If the planets, asteroids, and moons are given to correspond to the proper type of metals in order of both of their discoveries then many interesting patterns appear. Let the 'normal' metals match up with all the planets, the first four asteroids, and almost all of the moons. Have the rare earth metals will align with the first fourteen asteroids. Set up the actinides with the outer planets. Pair the akaline and akaline earth metals with the twelve signs of the zodiac along with their night ruling planets. Have the halogens and noble gases do the same with the day rulerships.
Note many of the "coincidences." The most massive moon is matched with tungsten, or 'heavy stone.' Titan just so happens to be paired with titanium and Ceres with cerium. Jupiter, Thor in the Nordic tradition, is with thorium. Naturally, it is soon followed by Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto with, you guessed it, uranium, neptunium, and plutonium. And of course the Moon should have hydrogen, meaning 'water generated,' as one of its elements as well as the Sun having helium, from Helios, the solar deity. These two elements are placed atop the two towers of the periodic castle, the lunar one on the night rulerships, the solar one on the day.

Sun Gold
Helium
Neon
Oxygen

Moon Silver
Hydrogen
Lithium
Selenium

Mercury Mercury
Berylium
Fluorine
Nitrogen

Venus Copper
Sodium
Argon
Phosphorus

Vulcan Sulfur
Boron

Earth Tellurium
Silicon

Mars Iron
Magnesium
Chlorine
Actinium

Phobos Indium
Deimos Thallium

Ceres Platinum
Francium
Ununoctium
Cerium

Pallas Cobalt
Barium
Astatine
Lanthanum

Juno Nickel
Cesmium
Radon
Erbium

Vesta Zinc
Radium
Ununseptium
Terbium

Astrea Ytterbium
Hebe Holmium
Iris Samarium
Flora Thulium
Metis Praseodymium
Hygiea Neodymium
Parthenope Gadolinium
Victoria Dysprosium
Egeria Europium
Irene Promethium

Jupiter Tin
Potassium
Krypton
Thorium

Amalthea Gallium
Io Manganese
Europa Molybdenum
Ganymede Tungsten
Callisto Zirconium
Himalia (Hestia) Germanium
Lysithea (Demeter) Rhenium
Elara (Hera) Polonium
Ananke (Adrastea) Boron
Carme (Pan) Technetium
Pasiphae (Poseiden) Lutetium
Sinope (Hades) Hafnium

Saturn Lead
Calcium
Bromine
Protactinium

Mimas Osmium
Enceladus Iridium
Tethys Tantalum
Dione Niobium
Rhea Chromium
Titan Titanium
Hyperion Aluminum
Iapetus Yttrium
Phoebe Scandium

Chiron Oxygen
Silicon

Uranus Antinomy
Rubidium
Xenon
Uranium

Miranda Tellurium
Ariel Ruthenium
Umbriel Vanadium
Titania Rhodium
Oberon Palladium

Neptune (Ophion) Bismuth
Strontium
Iodine
Neptunium

Triton Cadmium
Nereid Selenium

Pluto Carbon
Arsenic
Plutonium

Chiron Silicon
Oxygen
Curium

Charon Carbon
Americium

Pholus Phosphorus
Sulfur

Nessus Arsenic
Nitrogen

Aries Magnesium
Radon

Taurus Sodium
Astatine

Gemini Berylium
Ununoctium

Cancer Lithium
Ununseptium

Leo Radium
Neon

Virgo Francium
Fluorine

Libra Barium
Argon

Scorpio Cesium
Chlorine

Sagittarius Strontium
Krypton

Capricorn Rubidium
Bromine

Aquarius Calcium
Xenon

Pisces Potassium
Iodine

Earth Tellurium
Boron

Water Selenium
Carbon

Air Sulfur
Nitrogen

Fire Oxygen

Cardinal Arsenic
Sulfur

Fixed Phosphorus

Mutable Silicon
Nitrogen

Masculine Arsenic
Silicon

Feminine Selenium
Carbon

There are many elements that have not yet been assigned to any planets, dwarf or otherwise. Where will the many Kuiper belt objects go? This remains to be seen. It may be too early to tell.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi James,

Some very basic questions I would like to ask, (bearing in mind that I’m only beginning to learn and that others on the forum may also be doing so):

So I will ask first:
How are Arsenic and Silicon relevant to ‘Masculine’; and: Selenium, Carbon relevant to ‘Feminine’? (Without knowing anything of this, I can see Selenium and Carbon relevant to ‘Feminine’, and Silicon relevant to ‘Masculine’...but, not Arsenic.).

Next I would ask re the 4 ‘elements’:

Earth: Tellurium, Boron

Water: Selenium, Carbon

Air: Sulfur, Nitrogen

Fire: Oxygen

Then I would ask more about:

Cardinal: Arsenic, Sulfur

Fixed: Phosphorus

Mutable: Silicon, Nitrogen

Thankyou,
Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
James Strom

Post by James Strom »

It's always fun to look up the etymology of words. Here's from the Online Etymology Dictionary for arsenic:

The form of the Greek word is folk etymology, lit. "masculine," from arsen "male, strong, virile" (cf. arseno-koites "lying with men" in New Testament) supposedly in reference to the powerful properties of the substance.

Selenium is feminine since Selene is a lunar goddess. Also, it represents water on the alchemical periodic table and water is, of course, feminine. The same reasoning applies to carbon and silicon. For tellurium I again present the OED:

tellurium metallic element, named by German chemist and mineralogist Martin Heinrich Klaproth (1743-1817) from L. tellus (gen. telluris) "earth" (see tellurian).

The case for boron and sulfur are weak but they're in the right spots for their element type. I followed the alchemical order of the elements; earth, water, air, and fire. That is, from heaviest to lightest or lowest to highest.

If you look at some periodic tables there will be a dividing line between the metals and non-metals. Form a triangle with boron, oxygen, and tellurium. Then look where I placed earth, water, air, fire, cardinal, fixed, mutable, male, and female. Nitrogen had to be mutable as it also represents Mercury. The rest followed.

Since our atmosphere is 79% nitrogen, making it associated with air is plain. And since almost anything afire burns oxygen that should explain itself as well.
The two "towers" on the right and left side of the periodic "castle" are topped by the Solar and Lunar "flags." The Solar tower has the day rulerships of the zodiac in order while the Lunar contains the night.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi James,

Thought the 'periodic table' you mentioned, might be of interest to others with regard to this matter. (Need to scroll up/down and sideways). (Apologies but if I make it smaller, some of it won't be legible).

Admin.
Periodic Table.png
Periodic Table.png (522.29 KiB) Viewed 4481 times

(To those who would like to see this full screen, James suggested http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ements.jpg ).

Admin.
Phillip

Post by Phillip »

taort on sorcery what kind of trick is it but as far as my knowledge is concern i guess it is associated with black trick
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Phillip,

Not quite sure what you mean by 'sorcery'. I'm guessing that that was 'tongue in cheek' ? :wink:

Admin.
Virgoman28

Post by Virgoman28 »

Thanks for the insights James, very interesting!
James Strom

Post by James Strom »

You're welcome. I still can't believe how many 'coincidences' appeared when the elements were aligned with the planets and moons in chronological order of discovery.