Astronomy areas

What's 'up there' to see.
astrologerlove98

Astronomy areas

Post by astrologerlove98 »

I love his promotion of astronomy. He's a great successor, in that role, to Carl Sagan. But like many public figures, actors, singers, politicians, etc. He feels the need, or at least yields to the temptation, to pontificate on areas beyond his expertise. Ironically, the real Pontiff, Francis, does not feel a temptation to speak publicly on the significance of the Higgs Boson. But I wouldn't say conservatives dislike Tyson. That would be a bit strong.

I was asked to answer this, though I didn't major in . I majored in Physics and Computer Science as an undergrad before getting my Ph.D. in Astrophysics. The lesson that I learned was that you have to be careful with undergraduate majors like . If you get one at a school where it isn't as rigorous as the normal physics major, you could run into problems.

The reason being that the only real career path for anmajor (and often for physics majors) is to get a Ph.D. The Ph.D. programs are going to be rigorous and require a lot of math and physics. If your undergrad astronomy major didn't prepare you well enough in those areas, you will find that getting through a good graduate program is very challenging.