Gods similarities

This area of the forum is for Western and Vedic astrology discussions. Please post personal issues in the appropriate forum area.

Moderator: Noel Eastwood

Tryormaster

Gods similarities

Post by Tryormaster »

80% of Japanese gods are Hindu gods! There are lots of direct similarities between Greek gods and Hindu gods! Does that mean both Western and Eastern civilisation was connected?
Noel Eastwood
Site Admin

Re: Gods similarities

Post by Noel Eastwood »

Hi Try, that is a terrific question I often ask myself. In the years I have studied astrology, tarot and mythology I have come to the conclusion that there are a whole heap of commonalities because of a few reasons.

The many civilisations of antiquity actively visited and traded with each other far more than we realise. They certainly traded goods since the beginning of time. I imagine they also traded and swapped ideas, belief systems, arranged marriages, alliances, bought and sold slaves, learned various ways to manufacture products, preserve food products, how to make iron and sharpen their tools...

The Mediterranean Sea is like a big bathtub. Once communities could sal and reach the shores of Africa, Egypt became one of the main sources of food for other countries like Greece, Rome and even Britain during the Roman occupation of 42 BC. This meant that people sailed everywhere, made babies everywhere, and generally shared their genes, ideas and products wherever they went.

I think the important thing to note is that civilisations didn't exist in a vacuum, they made considerable effort to trade goods that they had excess of for things they had very few of, just like we do today.

For instance, the Gods of Egypt migrated with the merchants to Greece > then they migrated to Italy > and then spread around the European region with the Roman armies. The Persian Gods made their way to Europe, Britain as well, all because of trade routes and Roman conquest. The Hindu people were the same, they were prolific traders with Africa, Asia, Europe and Arabia. One can only expect that they talked to everyone about their gods.

The names of gods from other languages would have been hard to pronounce, so they were given new names but kept their basic characteristics. These characteristics (and their names), would become slightly distorted, like Chinese Whispers, as they are passed from region to region, generation to generation.

So if you think in terms of trade then yes, the Hindu gods are similar to the Greek, Egyptian, Roman and Persian gods.