Essential Dignities

This area of the forum is for Western and Vedic astrology discussions. Please post personal issues in the appropriate forum area.

Moderator: Noel Eastwood

DoctorT

Essential Dignities

Post by DoctorT »

Hi!

I'm confused! Some describe FIVE Essential Dignities: (1) rulership or domicile, (2) exaltation, (3) triplicity, (4) term, and (5) face.

Others describe FOUR Essential Dignities: (1) rulership or domicile, (2) exaltation, (3) detriment, and (4) fall.

And, others describe SEVEN Essential Dignities: (1) rulership or domicile, (2) exaltation, (3) triplicity, (4) term, and (5) face, (6) detriment, and (7) fall.

What's the story?

Thank you!

Dr. T
admin
Site Admin

Re: Essential Dignities

Post by admin »

Hi Dr. T,

The terminology itself gets very confused and confusing.   

The term "Dignity" is usually applied to a planet situated in its own Sign, i.e. the Sign it "rules".
Sun in Leo, Moon in Cancer, Mercury in Gemini or Virgo, Venus in Libra or Taurus, Mars in Aries or Scorpio, Jupiter in Sagittarius or Pisces, Saturn in Capricorn or Aquarius, Uranus in Aquarius, Neptune in Pisces, Pluto in Scorpio.

...Or in it's 'natural' House. that is, according to the natural order of the Houses:
1st - Aries, 2nd - Taurus, and so on.

A planet is in "Detriment" when in the opposite Sign or House of its Dignity.

A planet is "Exalted" when in a Sign or associated House where its energies are suited to the Sign and thus has the possibility of being expressed in the best or 'higher' way:

A planet is in its "Fall" when in opposite  Signs or Houses to its Exaltation.

This is the problem that arises with the term "Essential Dignities" which I believe is a very old system.
For e.g.  http://www.medievalastrologyguide.com/dignities.html  

It's very easy to get tied up with and bogged down by all the different systems, especially when each one claims to be "the right one".
It really depends on what you want to use astrology for.  If it's for comparative research, then I can't help you - perhaps someone else here can.

If it's for reading charts, then my advice is, choose ONE system that you feel comfortable with, and stick with it (unless or until you come across another than "suits" you better).

Best,
Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
DoctorT

Post by DoctorT »

Hey Admin!

Thank you for taking the time to give me a very detailed explanation. I truly appreciate it.

Dr. T
Dr. Anthony (Doctor T) Rodriguez
www.TheNthDim.com
Noel Eastwood
Site Admin

Post by Noel Eastwood »

Admin, that is good advice, stick to one system and do it properly because this can become a right pain in the butt for us astrologers.