Geocentric View

This area of the forum is for Western and Vedic astrology discussions. Please post personal issues in the appropriate forum area.

Moderator: Noel Eastwood

DoctorT

Geocentric View

Post by DoctorT »

Hi!

I am a newbie! In the geocentric (i.e., Earth-centered) view of the Universe, at a given day and time (say January 1 Midnight) and a given place (say a rural location in Upstate New York), if one is looking up at the night sky, does one sees only ONE of the twelve constellations of the Zodiac? And, would one see the same constellation the following year?

Thank you!

Dr. T
Dr. Anthony (Doctor T) Rodriguez
www.TheNthDim.com
admin
Site Admin

Re: Geocentric View

Post by admin »

Hi Dr. T,

I suggest you download the Stellarium program: https://stellarium.org/ (It’s free !)
There you can insert your coordinates and view the sky any time of the year to see which constellations are visible in any direction from that position. In this way you’ll know where to look and what you’re looking at.

I’ll add that it’s important to remember that these will be the ‘real’ Fixed Zodiacal constellations (used in Vedic Astrology) whereas the Western Zodiac varies slightly (by about 25 degrees of arc).
This site might help you to understand this anomaly: https://www.indastro.com/astrology-arti ... -astrology

In answer to your questions: You would see more than one of the constellations at any time; and yes, you would see the same constellation the following year if you view the sky at the same time/date each year.

Enjoy !

Best,
Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
DoctorT

Post by DoctorT »

admin wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:16 am ... In answer to your questions: You would see more than one of the constellations at any time; and yes, you would see the same constellation the following year if you view the sky at the same time/date each year ...
Dear Admin,

Thank you for your reply!

Is it accurate to say that the ancients Western astrologers/astronomers arbitrarily divided the night sky in twelve equal parts and named each part according to the constellation that lined up with the Sun?

FYI, I looked at the Stellarium and will spend time learning it. And, I'll look at the Vedic system.

Dr. T
www.TheNthDim.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi DoctorT,

Yes, the ‘ancients’ did divide the night sky into 12 equal parts. But if you look at the shape of the constellations, what’s really interesting is how they came to assign such properties or images of each Sign to those few stars comprising each constellation. But that’s a whole other matter.

Back when it all ‘started’, Western astrologers/astronomers chose the beginning (0 degs.) of the constellation of Aries to coincide with the 1st day of Spring (21st March) which coincided with the date that the Sun (from the Earth’s point of view) reached that point. However, over time this has gradually changed due to the precession of the equinoxes, which takes roughly about 26,000 years to complete.

But I’m not going to attempt to go into this here, as it will take too long to do so (at least it will for me).

Try this: http://www.physics.csbsju.edu/astro/newcomb/II.7.html Or if you’re really interested: https://in-the-sky.org/precession/index.php

Best,
Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
DoctorT

Post by DoctorT »

Dear Admin,

Thank you for your reply!

Dr. T
www.TheNthDim.com
sejalshah

Post by sejalshah »

Hundreds of years ago, humans looked to the stars for guidance. They used the constellations as a map to navigate their way through life. Even today, many people find comfort in looking up at the sky and marveling at the beauty of the stars. If you're interested in learning more about the constellations, or if you simply enjoy gazing at the night sky, I suggest you https://starsspeaks.com/.
Easterly

Post by Easterly »

I didn't know the fact that you would see the same zodiac constellation if you view the sky at the same time and date in different years.
Easterly

Post by Easterly »

I didn't know the fact that you would see the same zodiac constellation if you view the sky at the same time and date in different years. Thank you for the question and the answers provided. I will share it with my friends from our small but cool astronomical society. Will also try using the site @admin given above. This could become some kind of educational game related to astronomy. People could find more about our planet, space, and universe if they had little interest. And in this case, educational games are really helpful as people will learn more easily the information and facts related to astrology.