Calculating how far in degrees a planet has moved

This area of the forum is for Western and Vedic astrology discussions. Please post personal issues in the appropriate forum area.

Moderator: Noel Eastwood

django427

Calculating how far in degrees a planet has moved

Post by django427 »

Does anyone know of a calculator that I could enter in two dates and it would tell me how far in planetary degrees a planet has traveled between those dates? its from a book im reading, " the deceleration of independence was signed 4th of July 1776, Lincoln was killed April 14th 1865. Helio Saturn has moved 1086.09 of longitude from july 4th 1776"
admin
Site Admin

Re: Calculating how far in degrees a planet has moved

Post by admin »

I think you might have to first set up the charts for these events (or you can get them set up for you in the http://www.astro.com website).

Then, you could use a calculator to work out the distances between the planets for each date.

Pre-computer, I used to do this with a CASIO calculator (you need one that will allow you to use degrees and minutes). If you go this way, you'll need first to work out the distance in degrees along the Zodiac, e.g. Aries - 0 degs, Taur.- 30 degs., Gem. - 60 degs. and so on.

So, say a planet is at 23 Cap. 43, that would be 270 (Cap) + 23/43 = 293 degs. 43 mins.
Then, find the same with another/the other planet you are looking at, say 3 Pisces 15, that would be 330 (Pisces) + 3/15 = 333 degs.15.

Then subtract 293 43 from 333 15 = 40 degs. 28 mins. (As you can see, it's quite easy to do this manually/without a calculator).

I realise that this doesn't deal with the date matter, but apart from this way of doing it, you would need to obtain an astrology program. (I'm not sure if it's still available, but Solar Fire used to have a basic 'free' one). Or more easily and as I mentioned, astro.com may well suit your purposes.

Perhaps someone here might be able to suggest further possibilities.

Best,
Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]