Apparent Size of Houses in Degrees?

This area of the forum is for Western and Vedic astrology discussions. Please post personal issues in the appropriate forum area.

Moderator: Noel Eastwood

Sharkman

Apparent Size of Houses in Degrees?

Post by Sharkman »

I have been wondering why certain charts show house that appear to have more or less that 30 degrees. Why is that? Am I just not looking at them correctly?

I am using "What Watch" and today for instance 1-21-2014 8:10 pm in the US it looks like the 12th house is only about 17 degrees and other houses appear to be different sizes also. I really new at all of this and so far this one escapes me.

I'm going to be doing some reading that's for sure!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Apparent Size of Houses in Degrees?

Post by admin »

Hi Sharkman,

It depends on Latitude and time of the year. The further North the more the Houses get distorted, especially for births during the Winter months. (This is a very simplified explanation and I recommend that you study this matter further). Anyway, it's why many astrologers choose an 'Equal House' system so as to avoid these distortions.

Best,
Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

Thank you,

I actually was just able to answer this question myself because I am just beginning a new astrology self-study course that a friend recommended to me this last weekend.

It is sponsored by the Rosicrucian Society located just a few miles away from where I live. It was developed by Max Heindel in the early 20th century and they have been offering this course for many years apparently. Of course at some point in the near future I will be making a donation to them for all their efforts. It seems that Manly Hall actually studied this course himself in the last century also.

The answer to this question was actually in the beginning of the 2nd lesson which I'm working on right now. It is amazing to me how quickly things are opening up for me in regard to all of this. I just started a serious inquiry into astrology just about a year ago and it has been whirlwind so far and very enlightening.

Thank you again for answering my question especially with regard to the changes in the winter. Does the same affect occur in the Southern Hemisphere during your seasonal changes and changes in Latitudes? I would venture to say they do.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Re S. Hem. Yes.

Good Luck with your studies. You surely are in for an exciting ride !!! (Nearly 40 years later with this subject, and am still learning. Love it !).

Please do let us know how you go, and about anything you may find that you would like to ask or... answer.

Best,
Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]