Jung & Dreams

The work of Swiss Psychiatrist C G Jung has often been associated with astrological thinking and much has been written about it, Some good, some not so good. What do you think? Do they have a connection, such as through Jung's idea of Synchronicity?
janeflorez

Re: Jung & Dreams

Post by janeflorez »

My immediate gut response to this - yes, they are symbols, motifs and recognisable archetypes. They all appear to come from the "mythic layer" of our unconscious.

How much our own education colours our response is not clear to me though. Liz Greene has talked about clients of hers dreaming of Goddesses from the Sumerian age. (Her book The Astrology of Fate when dealing with Pluto). These clients had never studied ancient history or archeology. Pyschotherapists in training are often told that Jungian clients dream Jungian dreams (for the benefit of their analysts), students of Psychosynthesis the same etc.

I think that the more we know about the myths connected to planets the more we can recognise those archetypes occurring in ourselves and our clients.

It just shows me again how huge astrology is!
janeflorez

Post by janeflorez »

I feel that I ought to add for Hydra that Liz Greene's book The Astrology of Fate (ISBN 0-7225-3438-8) has a chapter on Pluto that will probably go a long way into answering her question about Pluto in her last post of this section. I hope you have a good bookshop near you!
BIGRAVEN13
Senior

Post by BIGRAVEN13 »

My "friend" Mr Pluto bearing on any natal placement from anywhere in transit will bring profound challenges and individual dreams will reflect the depths of Plutonian energy regardless of the individual's willingness, or not. to engage this archetypal dimension.

From my perspective Pluto, and other outer planet, transits bring powerful forces to bear on the individual life. The nature of these forces and their potential for transformation will be reflected in dreams but may also be played our in other arenas of life. For example as illness and accidents. I have seen this. If a person has engaged the Pluto energies in her/his life UI suspect that the "playing out" will be more manageable, in so far as Pluto can ever be considered so.

To go to Hydra's question of Sun in "5" in Leo transited from Sag, we would expect issues relating to creativity and sense of self to be to the fore, but the particulars of how this will be "played out" or represented in dreams would very much depend on how well the person has engaged the Pluto energies up to that point in his her life.

As ever astrology is an infinitely individual reflection of archetypal force at work and every chart is unique as is every individual living a chart.
"Free will is the ability to do gladly that which one must do" C G Jung
Academic_Zodiac

Post by Academic_Zodiac »

The psyche is programmed to deliver a special dream e.g. when Venus is in Hydra, but the psyche is not human true mind. http://lulu.com/astrology
scorpio
Senior

Post by scorpio »

Could you please tell us a little more about Hydra, Venus and dreams? I don't know much about Hydra.
janeflorez

Post by janeflorez »

I would also like to know about Hydra. I don't even know what it is, I am afraid. Where can the information be found?
janeflorez

Post by janeflorez »

Partly answering my own question about Hydra, I am copying below some info from the net about the very same:

"Hydra

* Abbreviation: Hya
* Genitive: Hydrae
* Translation: The Water Serpent
* Sky Chart
* Peoria Astronomical Society Hydra Page
* Interactive star chart (Java applet)

Position in the Sky

* Explanation of the following information
* Right Ascension: 10 hours
* Declination: -20 degrees
* Visible between latitudes 60 and -90 degrees
* Best seen in April (at 9:00 PM)

Named Stars

* ALPHARD (Alpha Hya)
* Al Minliar al Shuja (Sigma Hya)

Messier Objects

* M48 (open cluster)
* M68 (globular cluster)
* M83 (spiral galaxy)

Check out the Hydra Region page which is part of the Texas Astronomical Society's Constellation of the Month Series.

Hydra, also called the serpent of Lerna, was a beast with the body of a hound and 100 serpentine heads. As if this weren't bad enough, it also had poisonous breath and it was so hideous that it caused most people to die of fear from simply seeing it. One of Hercules' great tasks was to kill this monster. When he started to fight it, he discovered that every time he cut off one of the heads, three grew back in place of it. Seeing this was getting him nowhere, he had his charioteer, Iolus, burn the stump after each time he cut off a head, which prevented the unfortunate regeneration. The last head was immortal, however, so after cutting it off, they trapped it under a rock.

Hydra is a very weird constellation. It is the largest constellation on the sky (with Virgo close behind), but is strung out from Libra to Canis Minor along the southern horizon over about 90 degrees. Believe it or not, it used to be even bigger, but like the old Argo Navis constellation, it was split into four parts. Various stellar cartographers, including Flamsteed and Hevelius, broke the old Hydra into Sextans (the sextant), Crater (the cup), Corvus (the crow) and a new, reduced Hydra. "

I would still like to know more!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Might have to move this topic. In the meantime, I have to say I don't know how Venus could ever by in Hydra :(

I've checked out the site of Academic_Zodiac http://lulu.com/astrology and also looked at the You Tube vids of this, posted by another member here: tarant81
AnnotationsFrom: tarant8l
Added: April 20, 2008

22 Zodiacal constellations, 16 eastern ascendants. http://liulu.com/astrology 22 IAU constellations of the Academic Zodiac meet the 16 precessed or eastern ascendants for the epoch. The Cartesian house system works on Mars, underwater and on your spacecraft. Just hook it to the board mainframe and let it resolve local zodiacs as you shoot through alien galaxies. The reformation of the zodiac includes the 22 zodiacal constellations, 16 eastern ascendants and the Cartesian house system. http://lulu.com/astrology
Category: Science & Technology
If anyone wants to look further:
astrology & cartesian house system.jpg
astrology & cartesian house system.jpg (98.5 KiB) Viewed 6967 times

Would be good if Academic_Zodiac or tarant81 would come back and give us some assistance. It is after all, a rather large issue.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]