Synchronicity

The work of Swiss Psychiatrist C G Jung has often been associated with astrological thinking and much has been written about it, Some good, some not so good. What do you think? Do they have a connection, such as through Jung's idea of Synchronicity?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Synchronicity

Post by admin »

Anyone had any similar experiences you'd like to mention or discuss? Was there anything going on in your chart that you think might have been relevant or related to such an experience?
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
BIGRAVEN13
Senior

Post by BIGRAVEN13 »

admin wrote:Sometimes some very strange things occur, maybe a word, or maybe an image, or something you read and someone says something not only similarly, but exactly. Gives a bit of a spine-chilling feeling. The Jungian Synchronicity, explains it, but, sometimes not enough. It may feel that it's 'important' because it was exactly about what you were thinking, feeling, seeing at the time. 8) (The Jungian one was about a 'haggis', which he saw and at the same time, the same person appeared in different places and at different times and all relevant to a 'haggis'...). This one is about a cupla people who where in one place, where 3 people appeared, then in a completely different place, hundreds of kilometres away the same 3 people appeared again; and then later, more hundreds of kilometres away, the same 3 people appeared yet again! The person was getting just a tad ...paranoid, by that time. :? :roll: 8)
The very fact that this person would be affected because for her/him it represents a meaningful concurrenced of events is just what Jung meant by synchronicity. So, for me Jung's synchronicity hypothesis is every bit enough, because it does not seek to explain the concurrence of events, which is a mystery that skeptics can only reduce to "coincidence", but rather to acknowledge the reality of its profound effects on the individual experiencing those events.

Similarly skeptics cannot "understand" astrology, nor experience its forceful meaningfulness because they reduce it to "coincidence" at best, or just mumbo-jumbo and so quarantine themselves from its capacity to offer meaningful insight.
"Free will is the ability to do gladly that which one must do" C G Jung
admin
Site Admin

Re: Synchronicity & Patterns

Post by admin »

Just in case anyone is following this matter, I just came across this site: http://www.patternsinnature.org/Book/Synchrony.html

Here is an extract:
"There is growing evidence that at the heart of every synchronous pattern in nature is a "coupled oscillator". An oscillator is a device that causes oscillations to take place. To provide some form of energy that moves in a regular pattern or cycle. There are oscillators that are electrically driven, chemically driven, or behaviorally driven. It appears that any rhythmic pattern is based on an oscillator of some sort.

A coupled oscillator is a series of single oscillators that, with time, cause each other to act or synchronize to a rhythm. A coupled oscillator is a series of synchronized single oscillators. The fireflies noted earlier are an example of coupled oscillators in nature.

Many of nature’s coupled oscillators produce and drive unseen forces that are temporal in nature. These invisible forces are patterns themselves. They are many times the energy or connecting links between visible or more obvious patterns in nature. Sometimes these connecting patterns are the precise rhythms of natural clocks. Others are forces between objects that vary in intensity and period. Nature’s coupled oscillators include circadian clocks, inanimate clocks, human menstrual synchronization, the earth’s moon, and social behavior.”
(It's worth scrolling down and watching the video: Note: It’s 23:11 minutes long).
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
Mersenne

Post by Mersenne »

For the consideration of the Forum.

The following is a brief essay on "Synchronicity; an Acausal Connecting Principle", by C.G. Jung. All quotations from the Routledge paperback edition of 2008.

In his seminal work "Synchronicity; an Acausal Connecting Principle" the Swiss psychologist C. G. Jung suggested that a mental and a physical event could be connected in a way that did not depend on the one causing the other, or observing the other. That is, there was no exchange of energy or information between the two. Rather, the one coincided with the other because both shared a particular quality, variously described as "meaning", "virtue", or "Tao".

For instance, the mental foreboding of a friend's death could coincide with the sad event. In Jung's psychological terms, the foreboding and the death were both ordered by the same "archetype"- a mental element, associated with an emotion, which ordered both psyche and world alike. The coincidence ("happening together") of mental and physical state was revealed to be meaningful, even though it appeared to have occurred by chance alone.
The implications for astrology are obvious. As astrologers, we would say that the foreboding and the death were ruled by the same planet (or, took place under the same configuration of planets), and, indeed, the "gods and goddesses" for which the planets are named are considered archetypal images by Jung. Similarly, character and life events meaningfully coincide with the planetary configurations at birth.

Noting this, Jung organised an interesting "astrological experiment" to determine whether those aspects traditionally taken to indicate marriage were indeed emphasised in the charts of marriage partners- a statistical test of synastry, in fact. I will confine myself to the initial run of the experiment, in which Jung took the charts of 180 married couples, and analysed them for 50 aspects that could possibly be made between Sun, Moon, Venus, Mercury, and the Asc/Desc axis.

In terms of conventional statistical analysis, the results were disappointing. Although Moon/Sun aspects did indeed feature more prominently in the charts of partners, the results were held to be "not of statistical significance".

I will explain in slightly different, but more modern terms than Jung uses. The expected "chance" number of pairs of charts showing a particular aspect, given an orb of +/- 8 degrees and 180 such couples, would be (360/16)180=8. The average number found was 8.72, and this would not be considered sufficiently different from 8 to reduce the chance of its happen to less than 5% (1 in 20)*.

But as Jung himself points out, the maximum deviation from the expected number was found to be 18 (for woman's Moon conj. man's Sun). Similarly Asc conj Venus scored 15, Moon conj. Asc 14, and the Moon was involved in 6 out of the 8 aspects that scored 13 and over. The difficulty with the conventional statistical approach is that "...it represents only the average aspect of reality and excludes the total picture". That is, it doesn't concern itself with the qualitative meaning of the results, and particularly not with the extreme cases wherein such meaning might be found.

I can best explain this using the I Ching as an example. there are only 64 hexagrams (I leave out a consideration of changing lines, just to make the point- doing so doesn't change the argument). If you cast the Ching daily, and at the endof the year consider how many times each hexagon turned up, you will probably observe an average occurrence very close to that expected by chance (between 5 and 6 occurences per hexagram). A statistician would leave it at that- the occurence of each hexagram occurs as per chance expectation, case closed. For the Oracle's devotee, however, it is clear that individual instances of the occurence of a given hexagram were significant, in that it meaningfully coincided with advice appropriate to the devotee's mental and life condition at the time of throwing. It is this association, this meaningful coincidence, that matters.
With this in mind, let us return to the data of Jung's 180-couple experiment, and consider whether the pattern of the 50 aspects over the partners' horoscopes was the same as that of the control group. This is easy to do; we pair off the two sets aspect by aspect, plot them, and draw conclusions from the plot and its associated statistics. (For instance, the 11 pairs of charts showing Venus conj. Asc amongst the married pairs are matched to the 7.9** showing the same aspect amongst the control pairs, and so on).

In statistical terms, we are looking for a correlation between the results for the married and unmarried pairs. The astrologer would expect zero correlation- that the pattern of traditional "marriage" aspects for married couples would have no point of comparison with the pattern for the unmarried control group. If there is a connection, if the astrological hypothesis is mistaken, the points will coincide or lie close to each other. The plot is attached. Does it look like there's a connection?

Let us go further. A statistical test of the hypothesis "There is no correlation between the instances of significant aspects for married and unmarried pairs" can be tested by calculating what's called a Pearson correlation coefficient, a particular number which measures the closeness of two sets of data. The closer this number is to zero, the less likely it is that there is a correlation. The coefficient value for jung's data is 0.006; so small, there's only a 31/1000*** chance of its happening. This is a very imperfect measure; we don't know enough to expect a linear (simple, straight-line) relationship; but it indicates that there may be something going on.

A test known as the "Chi-square test" may be more useful. This tests the hypothesis that the pattern of results from the married couples is the same as the pattern from the unmarried. The astrologer would suggest that it isn't, and indeed, we find ample reason to reject the hypothesis****. We can legitimately conclude that the two sets of couples have very different astrological profiles vis-a-vis the 50 special aspects. This in fact tells us that something the scientist doesn't want to see is happening, ratherb than confirming something the astrologer does want to see. But again, it is suggestive.

Therefore, Jung's experiment, crude and imperfect though he admits it is, does give stronger evidence than he supposed that the traditional marriage aspects indicate nuptial connection between natives. It should, however, be noted that no scientist would be impressed by this. A scientist would point out that "correlation is not causation", and that an effect is incidental unless some mechanism can be postulated to account for it. Moreover, the means of the datasets are too alike to suppose a significant difference. To this, the astrologer would reply "I'm not investigating any kind of cause; the phenomena I'm interested in are connected acausally, by a meaningful factor called synchronicity. And deviations from the mean are more useful in this context than the mean itself."

"Ah", the scientist will say. "Mumbo-jumbo."

*For fellow mathematicians, I reproduced these results with a 1-sample t-test to find p=0.128, and with an independent-samples t-test against Jung's control group to find p=0.49 (based on data pp. 66-67).
**This isn't a whole number because Jung used a frequency count over a control group 32,220 strong, adjusted for 180 pairs- a perfectly sound statistical procedure (p.65).
***p=0.969.
****Formally, the Chi square statistic tests the null hypothesis that the two sets of results come from the same statistical distribution. The p-value is 0.838, which is very good grounds to reject the hypothesis.
Erratum in the edition used: Please note that the histograms on pp. 70, 71 have vertical axes which begin on one instead of zero.
See on this Forum:
Mersenne’s Astrological Statistics & Datasets
Mersenne’s Microcosm
Mersenne’s Transneptunians
Crabbers

Post by Crabbers »

On Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity there is amongst other interesting stuff this paragraph:

'Even at Jung's presentation of his work on synchronicity in 1951 at an Eranos lecture, his ideas on synchronicity were evolving. Following discussions with both Albert Einstein and Wolfgang Pauli, Jung believed that there were parallels between synchronicity and aspects of relativity theory and quantum mechanics. Jung was transfixed by the idea that life was not a series of random events but rather an expression of a deeper order, which he and Pauli referred to as Unus mundus.'

The conclusion that I have come to is that the life force - which can be thought of as God - exists in everything equally and is interconnected by way of biophotons http://etherinform.com/sept2013_009.htm#6 Mankind's cognitive processes enable us to observe and recognise synchronous events and in particular those related to our own particular make-up as described by our birth charts. Whenever you find someone likeable you find affinity in their birth chart, whenever you like a particular musical artist, painter etc. you find affinity in their birth chart. These affinities I call Lines of Continuity - http://etherinform.com/sept2013_011.htm#3

Personally I am constantly recognising coincidence in my interaction with the world - but to do so you have to have a good knowledge of the past for acknowledgement. Over time there are symbols - a statement, an object, a situation, etc - that sticks in your head for no apparent reason - only to find, somewhere in the future, its significance revealed. The two practical things which I use to accelerate these coincidental indicators of our own being is firstly to try and feel the life around you - the birds, the trees, the insects, along with the Sun and wind etc. And the second is to look at yourself from the third person - you know your inclinations as shown in your birth chart but without getting involved in the machinations of self which are connected via the lunar memory with lines of continuity and eventually with the origin of life - then you are more able to correct personal difficulties that hold back our connection with greater truths.

Rather than discussing the existence or otherwise of certain phenomena I would like to think that knowledge has a purpose that can be put into actions that increase our understanding, enjoyment and fulfilment in life - there is no greater joy than being connected and accepted (although I must qualify this with the fact of my Sun being in Pisces and currently being transited by Neptune, so perhaps when the dust settles I may think otherwise - but so far my understanding is holding!)

Cheers, Crabbers
nossa40

Post by nossa40 »

I want to share a recent experience. It's not common for me to have dreams while I'm asleep, but I've mental images in my thoughts while I'm awake, is that psychosis? I don't see things in the strict sense of the word, but sequences of events in my mind. Recently in my head was the same sequence that two weeks later I saw on television almost as I saw it in my head.

In the sequence in my head I saw my ex-boyfriend, I was going to give a lecture to the place where he lives and then some bad people armed with guns arrived at the place. At the end of the conference my ex-boyfriend was furious, complaining about my previous behavior, telling me horrible things, then the bad guys started attacking everyone, and I got between them and my ex-boyfriend, but I got wings from the back that I I used to cover him and me like in a cave, the bullets were many. Later, we would appear in his apartment on top of the same building, and I, wounded, would return to fight. Two weeks later I saw an extremely similar sequence in the last episode of the third season of the lucifer show. When I finished watching the show I was stupefied.

How should I interpret this?

Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I want to share a recent experience. It's not common for me to have dreams while I'm asleep, but I've mental images in my thoughts while I'm awake, is that psychosis? I don't see things in the strict sense of the word, but sequences of events in my mind. Recently in my head was the same sequence that two weeks later I saw on television almost as I saw it in my head.

In the sequence in my head I saw my ex-boyfriend, I was going to give a lecture to the place where he lives and then some bad people armed with guns arrived at the place. At the end of the conference my ex-boyfriend was furious, complaining about my previous behavior, telling me horrible things, then the bad guys started attacking everyone, and I got between them and my ex-boyfriend, but I got wings from the back that I I used to cover him and me like in a cave, the bullets were many. Later, we would appear in his apartment on top of the same building, and I, wounded, would return to fight. Two weeks later I saw an extremely similar sequence in the last episode of the third season of the lucifer show. When I finished watching the show I was stupefied.

How should I interpret this?

Thank you.
Hi sinfoletras,

Neptune and 12th and 4th House planets, as well as retrograde planets – especially from Jupiter outward – may be, at least in part, relevant to this kind of ‘wakeful dream’.

Some feel that this upsurge of synchronous activity is in consonance with all of these new ‘planetoids/dwarf bodies’ that have been and still are being discovered, signalling a wider and deeper connection with what we call the ‘collective unconscious’, thus linking us more and more with those previously untapped realms. Perhaps your waking dream(s), even though so unsettling, was/are a part of this too.

Energy patterns in the chart interact with energy patterns in the environment (or in other people), and as the transiting planets move and create new patterns within our own, on occasion they resonate with those outside of us and result in these synchronies or, in the case of dreams, reflections of our own internal landscape too.

This matter of ‘dreaming’, or even of just thinking of something/someone and then finding it expressed somewhere in your environment, either immediately or within a short period, seems to be becoming more and more prevalent. And once it begins to happen, it seems to occur more and more frequently...like a door has been opened.

A person not thought of for years, suddenly calls; or more mundanely, thinking of an actor who hasn’t been around for years ...turn on the tv, and there they are in a re-run of one of their films. The range is enormous and runs from seemingly meaningless and minor images of people or objects, or even specific numbers, all the way through to major events.

And then there is the medium or subject matter of such a dream used by the conscious mind to express those subtle feelings or connections within the unconscious.

Nothing to be afraid of – just to be aware of and to take and use as a deeper understanding of ourselves and of all that is around us...at least, that’s what I think and feel about it, and as far as my understanding goes. It's a realm that is constantly unfolding as our conscious understanding grows.

I’m very sure others will have more to say on this, and I hope they will do so.

Best,
Admin.
nossa40

Post by nossa40 »

Neptune and 12th and 4th House planets, as well as retrograde planets – especially from Jupiter outward – may be, at least in part, relevant to this kind of ‘wakeful dream’.
Agree. Saturn has a lot to say about our past and Neptune usually operates as a catalyst for these things, in its own way. I have those two scoundrels in those positions. That's why I think that somehow this sequence shows an unresolved guilt, one that has become heavier because I'm aware that this ex-boyfriend has not been happy, I blame myself for it... aaand yes, it's an egocentric thought, I'm ascribing myself too much importance when I was just a chapter in his life more than twenty years ago.
Some feel that this upsurge of synchronous activity is in consonance with all of these new ‘planetoids/dwarf bodies’ that have been and still are being discovered, signalling a wider and deeper connection with what we call the ‘collective unconscious’, thus linking us more and more with those previously untapped realms. Perhaps your waking dream(s), even though so unsettling, was/are a part of this too.

Energy patterns in the chart interact with energy patterns in the environment (or in other people), and as the transiting planets move and create new patterns within our own, on occasion they resonate with those outside of us and result in these synchronies or, in the case of dreams, reflections of our own internal landscape too.
More in agreement. That same night I thought about the writers of the show and the primordial tide, the collective unconscious, as Jung describes it. For a moment I felt amazed at such synchronicity between my mental vision and what I saw, my only thought about it was "we are one."

What you say is full of truth. The drives of universal consciousness, which mark "the general", touch us individually, each one in a different way, but the drive that dyes the conscious collective mental arena contains a unique message, which is perceived in a different way. For the scriptwriter it was a logical and necessary act, for me it was a form of consolation to face a guilt that is throbbing in my subconscious.[/quote]
This matter of ‘dreaming’, or even of just thinking of something/someone and then finding it expressed somewhere in your environment, either immediately or within a short period, seems to be becoming more and more prevalent. And once it begins to happen, it seems to occur more and more frequently...like a door has been opened.
The wings and Pluto.

For a long time I have been in contact with the Plutonian energy that is naturally aspecting my moon. It is a difficult aspect that has cost me a lot of work to address. Lucifer's myth moves me deeply.

I see Lucifer as a poor victim of a lazy, perverse and manipulative narcissus that is nothing more than a black hole. This is how I consider that character called "unique god": as the energy of a malignant narcissism that Lucifer discovers as such, faces and leaves, being humiliated and hurt, but without losing his light. For me, Lucifer is the true light, the furious dragon that hides the purest love and protects it implacably. The wings represent more than something that allows to fly, to rise. That part is unpleasant because the one who is flying looks at the others down. Lucifer detests the wings, but as something inherent in him, he uses them for a greater purpose: to safeguard someone.

Still I do not understand why I see myself as a winged being who is also in a position to return to fight. I'm just someone else without any special talent, I write, but I'm so mediocre that I can not finish a book, I just start it and leave it on the first pages.
A person not thought of for years, suddenly calls; or more mundanely, thinking of an actor who hasn’t been around for years ...turn on the tv, and there they are in a re-run of one of their films. The range is enormous and runs from seemingly meaningless and minor images of people or objects, or even specific numbers, all the way through to major events.

And then there is the medium or subject matter of such a dream used by the conscious mind to express those subtle feelings or connections within the unconscious.

Nothing to be afraid of – just to be aware of and to take and use as a deeper understanding of ourselves and of all that is around us...at least, that’s what I think and feel about it, and as far as my understanding goes. It's a realm that is constantly unfolding as our conscious understanding grows.
I return to the matter of my ex-boyfriend. I was the bad one in the story, but I'm growing up, with the help of Saturn, Pluto and Neptune. It's a very difficult process but I think I'm doing well.
I’m very sure others will have more to say on this, and I hope they will do so.
Thank you very much admin for attending to my message, your words help me to understand more. I also hope that more people join the conversation. This is very interesting, there must be many interesting and amazing stories, I read about Imhotep's visit, what a beautiful event! I would like to meet Pluto because I'm no longer afraid of him, I know that Pluto is the most powerful and dark energy, but I know that he is not bad, and I know he wants me to teach, my moon is awake, open and docile to his teachings.

Best to all!
Sinfo.
nossa40

Post by nossa40 »

I see Lucifer as a poor victim of a lazy, perverse and manipulative narcissus that is nothing more than a black hole.
Wait! I just wrote that? Oh hell!, what I actually said "my subconscious/unconscious is a poor victim of my conscious". Ultimately the idea of God is related to the astrological Sun that represents our conscious part. I definitely have to work harder on myself, these are the kind of things that move me to get depressed.
Eva7

Post by Eva7 »

Hi everyone!

I’d like to share my experience of recurring synchronicities with one person who lives far away from me and whom I have lost contact with after we met just once.

The weird coincidences started more than two years ago, whilst I was writing a science fiction novel whose main character was inspired by this person. I mean that I have envisioned this novel character as looking like him, same face, voice, personality. This person was never aware I was writing a novel, nor that he had inspired such character. The synchronicities have been showing up since I was following this person (I will call him “J.”) on Facebook and Instagram.

I will describe only the most significant ones, since they have been too many. (But it is still a long list!)

The first one occurred as soon as I decided to share an excerpt on my Facebook page dedicated to my novel, whilst I was still working on the book. The excerpt told the story of the main character rescuing his best friend’s life, who is a black guy. I posted the excerpt and two hours later J. posted a picture on both his FB and Instagram, showing himself and one black guy, and he wrote the following as a description: “Five years ago I rescued this friend of mine”…
(J. was never a follower of my novel FB page, it is almost impossible he might have seen my post!)

One day, I was traveling along the highway by car together with a friend. All of a sudden we saw a huge flock of birds coming towards us, while drawing all kinds of magnificent shapes in the sky. I was about to record a video of the flock with my phone but I didn’t make it cause they were already flying above our car in the opposite direction and I missed it… When hours later I came back home with my friend, I had completely forgot about the flock, of course… I checked my Instagram newsfeed and one post from J. showed up soon. It was a video of a huge flock of birds drawing shapes in the sky, that he had recorded that same day whilst being on the other side of the planet. I showed it to my friend... we were both amazed…

One morning I was reading my daily horoscope, and the final sentence was “make it or break it”. Soon after I checked my Instagram feed and a new J.’s post popped up: it was a picture of his fat-full english breakfast course (LOL!) and J. had entitled the pic: “make it or break it”…

I had named the novel character “Antonio” because I needed a spanish-italian name for him. Only about six months later, I found out that J.’s second name is Anthony.

Sometimes, J. seemed to “copy” my Instagram posts! But this is impossible, since he was never my follower on Instagram… For instance, one day I had posted a picture of myself swimming in a swimmingpool, and he did the same few hours later, posting a picture of himself in a swimmingpool. Another day, I posted a picture of myself under a tree and wrote as description “In my tree” together with a tree emoji. The following day, J. posted a picture of a street sign containing the anargram “[J.’s last name]’s tree” and added a tree emoji.
Another striking one occurred when I wished happy birthday for my niece by posting her picture. Just minutes later, J. posted a pic of a friend of his to wish her happy birthday.
Few days later, after I had posted a video of myself playing guitar and singing a song called “Angel”, later that evening he posted the theatre play “Angels in America” poster, cause he had just gone see it on that day.

My novel character is an immigrant who is in love with a mixed race girl. During the time I was writing about their love story in the novel, J. met and dated a mixed race immigrant girl.

Only when I had finished writing the whole novel, I found out that the name of the most important woman who has helped J. to start his career is the same name I had given to the main female character of my novel.

Throughout my novel, there is a recurring key sentence: “I have to go and finish what I have started”, or “You have to finish what you have started”, and “Don’t you finish what you have started?”.
On the same day I have finished to write and to edit the whole novel, a new J.’s picture showed up on my Instagram feed and the description he wrote was: “I have to go and finish what I have started”.

Another main character of my novel is a rock musician named Savannah. I am a rock musician and my name is Eva… Savannah represents an alter-ego of myself somehow, in the novel. On summer 2017, I was busy to publish the novel I had been working on from february to june 2016. On July 2017, J. announced his new work project that he would carry together with two leading role women in the project, one called Eva and one called Savannah.

In November 2016, after I had finished writing the novel, I went on holiday in the city where J. lives. I never knew his home address, and this is the largest town in Europe.
On my last holiday night before flying back home, I was walking through an alley when I unexpectedly saw… J.
I saw him through the window of an house. I looked at the gate and the door and I recognized J.’s house from a picture he had posted on Instagram just two days earlier. I could not believe it but… yes, that was actually him, and his house. For real.

Even though almost three years have passed since I started to write the novel and one year since I have published it, and even though I never was able to talk to J. during all this time, I am still experiencing such amazing synchronicities with him.

...any thought?

(Well, YES, I LOVE J. but... what is this?!)

Thanks for reading!