The Moon's Nodes (Real) - In Brief

Moderator: scorpio

BIGRAVEN13
Senior

The Moon's Nodes (Real) - In Brief

Post by BIGRAVEN13 »

To Summarise the Moon’s Nodes:

The nodal axis represents a polarity between the following:

1.a point of habitual and unconscious behaviour patterns, the South Node. Unconsciously held values which knit one into the collective situation (be they cultural, societal or family values), subjective points of view and paths of least resistance and escapism adhere around the South Node.

The South Node with its connection to habitual behaviour patterns and comfort zones may represent either where one feels a duty to collective values or where one habitually avoids such duties or obligations.

2.a need to take conscious responsibility for one’s own life situation, the North Node. The integrity of the individual, the need to stand for one’s individuality and a point of view which propels one out of one’s comfort zones and the need to take the fullest possible personal responsibility within one’s life seem to be demanded by the North Node placement .

The North Node indicates the arena of individual responsibility and ethical development which seems contradictory to the requirements of the South Node and often to accepted values.

The tension created along this axis forces the planets in aspect to it into relief in such a way that the interplay of these apparently contradictory values requires a new planetary perspective to emerge.

North Node: Sign what a I have to witness and speak of and for in my life which has to do with my deeper individuality
and truth as I experience it.

The North Node ruler gives a fuller understanding of the issues which underlies this need and the way in which it will be best worked with.

House how and to whom I must witness and speak my truth.

South Node: Sign what entices me away from the truth that I need to witness and obscures my individuality by allowing
others to be one's reference point.

House where and with whom I play this out in everyday life

The South Node ruler gives a fuller understanding of the issues and character traits which undermine one’s struggle to become more psychologically mature.
"Free will is the ability to do gladly that which one must do" C G Jung
janeflorez

Re: The Moon's Nodes (Real) - In Brief

Post by janeflorez »

Hello Big Raven

Thank you very much for your post on the Nodes. You wrote it up exactly three days before I start freaking out about the South Node - and this helped me a lot. I can refer to this if anything troublesome kicks off, in my life!

Jane
BIGRAVEN13
Senior

Post by BIGRAVEN13 »

Glad this was helpful, Jane, I find the Nodes most illuminating and from years of experience see them as pivotal to a deeper understanding of oneself and the natal horoscope. Also often very important when being transited, and I imagine from your input affected by progressions too.
janeflorez

Post by janeflorez »

Oh good! In 5 degrees time - sorry 5 months' time, I am going to need that wisdom!

Jane
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Even though the N.Node surely is
2.a need to take conscious responsibility for one’s own life situation, the North Node. The integrity of the individual, the need to stand for one’s individuality and a point of view which propels one out of one’s comfort zones and the need to take the fullest possible personal responsibility within one’s life seem to be demanded by the North Node placement .

The North Node indicates the arena of individual responsibility and ethical development which seems contradictory to the requirements of the South Node and often to accepted values.
it too can result in an 'over-emphasis' at times.

There is a 'gift' in both Nodes: from the S. Node there are 'skills' and knowledge too, to use in the journey to consciousness of the soul's needs to 'evolve and grow' - the N. Node. But, there is also a 'danger' of ignoring/turning away from 'the past' that the S. Node has given.

So, what can eventuate when the qualities learned and 'collected' by the S. Node are 'cut'/regarded as 'holding one back''? (Obviously, the whole chart of any particular person is needed to see how this would work out, but:) For a brief example: S.Node in Pisces in 12th -is a visionary artist and musician, and his art, at least, has certainly been taken into the Virgoan realm of detail and, inevitably, 'perfection'. However, later in life, the N. Node perfectionism has grown stronger. He's working in many fields, but the 'gotta be perfect' has held him back at every step - at least with respect to his 'real' dreams.

Would very much appreciate if anyone has any comments or examples. Thanks.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
BIGRAVEN13
Senior

Post by BIGRAVEN13 »

admin wrote: it too (the North Node) can result in an 'over-emphasis' at times.

There is a 'gift' in both Nodes: from the S. Node there are 'skills' and knowledge too, to use in the journey to consciousness of the soul's needs to 'evolve and grow' - the N. Node. But, there is also a 'danger' of ignoring/turning away from 'the past' that the S. Node has given.

So, what can eventuate when the qualities learned and 'collected' by the S. Node are 'cut'/regarded as 'holding one back''? (Obviously, the whole chart of any particular person is needed to see how this would work out, but:) For a brief example: S.Node in Pisces in 12th -is a visionary artist and musician, and his art, at least, has certainly been taken into the Virgoan realm of detail and, inevitably, 'perfection'. However, later in life, the N. Node perfectionism has grown stronger. He's working in many fields, but the 'gotta be perfect' has held him back at every step - at least with respect to his 'real' dreams.

Would very much appreciate if anyone has any comments or examples. Thanks.
Yes, admin, I never meant to sugges that the S Node is all bad. For me as a Jungian the nodal axis represents a polarity and all life is a struggle with polarity. The desire to resolve polarity by going to one or other opposite and ignore the other is always fraught with dangers.

From my point of view the issue is how to work within the tension created by opposites so as to resolve them not by making one disappear but by finding how they compliment each other. Thus, to use my own opposite example to yours, my NN in Pisces needs to state its spiritual and metaphysical perceptions to its peers (11th House) but needs to be grounded by a ritual of relationship to every day routines and practical realities that give a mundane sense of self. (SN in Virgo in 5) When young and caught up in the SN I too suffered from a punishing perfectionism, both directed at myself and others for whom I could be harrowingly politically correct.

Finding the appropriate interplay between the Nodes so that the axis acts creatively is quite a challenge.

As to the matter of overemphasis, that too I think you are correct about. It would probably be suggested by aspects. Strong positive aspects to either node would indicate ease of energy flow to that node and so overemphasis. Things like T squares could also produce overemphasis but more likely with a flip-flopping dymanic.
zoidsoft

Post by zoidsoft »

I have a theory for the rationale behind the exaltation of the lunar nodes (as stated by Rhetorius in the 6th century) using the positions as stated in the Thema Mundi (chart of the world) and statements made by Plato in the "Myth of Er". It seems to confirm what evolutionary astrologers have been saying about the path of the soul:

http://www.astrology-x-files.com/x-file ... astro.html
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi zoidsoft, Welcome, and Thanks for that comment and link! - Hadn’t thought of the Nodes as ‘political’ before, so this is an interesting ‘take’ on this matter of the Nodes, eg.:
“...which sect wins or has the upper hand in the struggle. There is a general sense that when the Moon eclipses the Sun, the Moon has more power (the King falls and the people rejoice...), whereas a lunar eclipse might be bad for the people...”.
The rest of the comments are worth looking at:
http://www.astrology-x-files.com/x-file ... astro.html

- I think it’s important to also note that in Vedic astrology, these Nodes are seen and experienced, differently: North Node is ‘Rahu’ which is seen as not the ‘good’ place we in the ‘West’ know and understand, because it is about our ‘worldly desires’. And, the South Node ‘Ketu’ (which we understand more easily as being ‘past’ and something to ‘rid’ ourselves of ) is in Vedic astrology, about ‘enlightenment’... possibilites. (Would appreciate Help Raj on this matter !).

The way it seems for us of 'Western' mode, is that the North Node is a way to move to something/somewhere new and untried...somewhere 'better' and... 'higher'; while the South Node surely does seem like ‘old’ habits or ways..things we experienced when we were very young, or even prior to that as in earlier family matters and genetics...etc. (I will say that this is something I have followed up over many years. and have found it to 'work'...tho' requires more than the South Node).
But, in our 'Western' mindset, maybe we are looking at it the wrong way round? Maybe this is why we started searching for ‘Eastern’ knowledge and understanding?

Cultures are, and have been crossing for...oh, only a few thousand years. But ‘we’re’ apparently
still in ‘our’ modus operandi’. So, in the meantime – and stating the obvious – from our ‘Western’ existence, we (at least, most of us?) still seem to need to ‘find’ our ‘North Nodes’? (Sooo much more to know and understand !)

Thanks again zoidsoft, for your comment and reference.
Admin.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
scorpio
Senior

Post by scorpio »

Sorry, zoidsoft, that I have taken a while to answer this.

I agree with admin about how we, in the modern western world, experience the Nodes. I was also very interested to read the astrology 'X-files' on this - really started me thinking. If Rhetorius (have I spelled it correctly?) was writing in the 6th century AD (or CE, which is more politically correct), then he was probably writing in a Dark Age (what country was he from?). Nonetheless, astrology would have evolved from what the ancient Chaldeans, and for that matter the ancient Greeks, would have believed about it. Interestingly (and a bit off the point), Hermes actually dates back to the ancient Mycenaeans (that civilisation fell about 1250 BC or BCE for those who follow political correctness) wherein he was something of a fertility god, but was always, as the site says, a guide for the dead to Hades.

Getting back to the Nodes - yes, I do think the South Node carries our karmic baggage, but it need not be negative. I think that much of what we have learned is good and wise, and can point us to what is right in this life. However, the North Node represents something new for us, and yet even that is familar - I don't know one adult who doesn't use their North Node to guide them - it is like a new set of rules for how to approach life - but seems to bring with it the negatives of that sign and house as well as the positives.

As to whether Cancer and the South Node represent birth into this world, I would certainly agree that the South Node might, and in a very worldly way, the Moon might too. Nonetheless, I disagree with Rhetorius’s views on the Moon. I do not believe it represents the physical life, but rather the life of the psyche, which, in a way, relates it back to Mercury and Gemini.

If Rhetorius was a stagnant (didn’t travel much) native of 6th century AD Northern Europe or the Mediterranean, then I think it probable that he was affected by the beliefs and thinking of his times. This was the time of the great Arab infiltration of thought into Western culture and the re-emergence of the ancient Greek literature that they had access to, which had been lost to western thought since the fall of Rome and the growth of Christianity.

Early Christianity sought to extinguish all remains of ‘pagan’ thought, which included the positive side of the Moon and the South Node. Look at Pliny the Younger if you don’t believe this. Rhetorius was, no doubt, a product of his time, trying to incorporating the new teachings that the Arabs had brought, and yet still having that mistrust of the Moon, the pagan feminine and the role of death and rebirth, exemplified in the Nodes, as the psyche that he brought into this world.

I would like to know what you think of this and to hear your comments.

Ta

Scorpio
markpattinson902

Post by markpattinson902 »

The Moon's Nodes illustrate those points on the ground, where the orbit of the Moon around the Earth crosses that of the Earth around the Sun. both intersections can be calculated and they are diametrically opposed one to another, so they make up the lines of the nodes. That nodal axis moves backwards, that is, from Aries/Libra to Pisces/Virgo, to Aquarius/Leo, etc. It takes about 18.5 years to pass by the twelve zodiac signs.
Thirteen Moon Calendar