Quincunxes (Inconjuncts)

All, including 'abstract' aspects. Aspect patterns when well understood can give interesting insights not only into inherent dynamics but the ways in which an individual may develop.
janeflorez

Quincunxes (Inconjuncts)

Post by janeflorez »

I have just joined the Forum from the UK. I would be interested to hear other people's experiences of dealing with quincunx (inconjunct) aspects. Having just experienced a whole series of them (from the Moon), I can only say that their effects are often overlooked in many theory books. From my recent point of view, they are pretty ferocious and go very deep. Feedback and comments would be appreciated.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Quincunxes (Inconjuncts)

Post by admin »

Hi janeflorez and welcome to the Forum. Quincunxes are difficult to pin down and especially with the Moon, which inevitably involves deeper emotional issues. Some authors see them as the need for adjustment between the energies (planets) involved, and of course the houses in which those planets are situated. (May I ask in which sign/house your Moon is, and which transiting planets have been giving these hits? ...am guessing Saturn/Pluto, or one of the other 'outers' Uranus, Neptune.) The quincunx is also seen sometimes as resulting in feeling pressured to meet others needs which can result in the detriment to your own, often as some sort of deep-seated guilt that isn't necessarily based in any reality. It's just hard to say 'No', and therefore very stressful. (Hence the association of the quincunx with health issues). The Moon of course is particularly vulnerable.

Hope this is of some assistance. Am sure others will add more.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
scorpio
Senior

Post by scorpio »

Agree with you that these are very difficult aspects to try and define. It feels like they come from 'out of the blue'. The kind of aspects that make you say 'What was that?'. If we go back to the Yod formation we can see that 2 planets are acting in collusion (sextile) against the inconjunct planet. So it is a bit like, if this were a relationship 2 people would be colluding with one another saying 'yes, this is what we believe is right' with the 3rd person going off and doing something totally against their beliefs. There is always COLLUSION of a belief system and something coming up to destroy that belief system.

I once had a client, a mental health nurse, who had Neptune inconjunct Mars on a certain day that he was going for a job interview. He asked me (a fellow mental health worker) to have a look at his chart and the outcome of that particular day. All I could say to him was "Expect the unexpected". That night, when the inconjunct was exact, he was called out by the police on a crisis call to see a patient that had held someone to ransome. When he arrived he struggled with the patient (who was HIV positive) who spat in his eye, tied to tie him to a post, and punched him in the eye. But he was able to keep the patient at bay until the Police arrived to releive him of his duties.

I saw him again the next day, with black eye and awaiting HIV results. The upshot of the story being, never trust that life will go according to your own beliefs. It won't.

I have (natally) something like 8 of these aspects in my natal chart. Because of this, I have learnt not to beleive in anything! The moment you do the inconjuncts will come up and give you something out of the ordinary that will destroy all previous beliefs you had! So now, I don't believe anything - it has to be proved to me again and again and even then I keeep a small reserve of doubt.

Perhaps this is the nature of the inconjunct. To show us that the beliefs we have are just that. beleifs, not facts. And so I believe that 'expect the unexpected' is a good simple, interpretation of this aspect.

How did it work in your chart? Would be interested to know how the aspects panned out for you!

Love
Scorpio
janeflorez

Post by janeflorez »

Hello I am really grateful for your replies. I certainly didn’t join this forum to talk about me (by the way) but felt I should highlight this “inconjunct business”. I have a few text books in which this aspect is barely mentioned! Over the past months, if I not been able to read my chart, I think I would have gone loopy. How do non-astrology people cope? I know there is a purpose in all of these inconjuncts – to guide, to affirm conviction, to teach. I know there is method in the madness!

These are all from my progressed chart only:

Dec 2007 Moon at 18 Gemini (2nd house) inconjuncts Saturn in Scorpio (6th house)
March 2008 Moon at 21 Gemini (2nd house) inconjuncts 7th house cusp
April 2008 Moon at 22 Gemini (2nd house) inconjuncts M/C (Capricorn) with Mercury on M/C
June 2008 Moon at 26 Gemini (still 2nd house) semi-sextile Jupiter/Uranus conj. In 4th house Cancer
June 2008 Moon at 26 Gemini sextiles Pluto in 5th house Leo
Finally – late July 2008 Moon at 28 Gemini trines Neptune at 28 Libra 6th house – which feels like it is taking a changed-me back to the beginning again of the 6th house activity!

Before each inconjunct /aspect reached exactitude, the tension was monumental. Each time I thought I had reached a plateau of who I “might” be and what I “might “ do in my life, something in me would either disprove that or what was I trying to achieve would appear to be blocked. The feeling is one of being marooned on an island without any hope of rescue. Finally now, halfway through July 2008, I can still feel the effects of this seismic activity and feel that my only escape is to be airlifted out of it!

It has been a pleasure to share this with you. Best wishes from London to you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Crikey...what a line-up! And certainly agree with "How do non-astrology people cope?" Guess that's why they seek astrologers, and also because it helps so much to at least understand something about what's going on, as well as that it's a 'time' with an end in sight.

The quincunxes, as you know, connect signs that are fundamentally 'out of synch': Gemini/Scorpio - the lightest 'air' (thinking/rational mind)), and deepest 'water' (feeling/the depths of the psyche). (That's clipping it somewhat of course). And then the MOON in Gemini (basically a 'semi-sextile' within itself, which, despite the usual 'mildly positive' descriptions, contains similar 'out of synch' elements and qualities.) And Saturn, of all places in Scorpio. A tuff one on its own to say the least, without being triggered by a Gemini Moon influence - 'progressed' notwithstanding.

Moon in Gemini quincunx Mercury in Capricorn conj. MC - a 'water' influence in air and an 'air' planet in earth, on an earth 'cusp'. I note that there is hardly any 'fire' (except for the Moon in Gem. sextile Pluto in Leo)...so not much fire overall to assist, which makes it harder to summon up the necessary energy to deal with the constant assaults. (Where was Prog. Mars ? in Pisces or Aries... in 12th? Just guessing).
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
BIGRAVEN13
Senior

Post by BIGRAVEN13 »

It appears I have come in a bit behind the 8 ball, but will launch this now and add more as I can.

Ah, the dreaded Quincunx; Not inaccurately named, also, the inconjunct. Everything about them, except their effects, is so difficult to pin down and explain. They are inordinately subtle in their operation, if not in the effect they have on us. This all being because everything about them is underpinned by incompatibility, it is incompatible by element and modality so that even with compatible planets it effects are both disturbing and unsettling whilst being extremely difficult to pin down and identify as belonging to one's own modes of behaviour.

Enough abstraction. Be thankful its only the Moon this time. Image it was Mr Pluto or Neptune!! And of course we get them, and others from time to time, and for years at a stretch; no wonder some people lose the plot altogether.

I take it from what janeflorez says that the aspect was from the Moon, so, to what is the Moon adding her personalistic, subjective and deeply maternal dimension? The use of "ferocious" in describing her effects suggests even more incompatibility than that which usually portends with the quincunx, which is the aspect par excellence of incompatibility. As already stated, even with compatible planets one expects profound challenges but ferocity suggests, maybe, even that the Moon was exerting her influence where even in favourable circumstances it would not necessarily be easily accepted?

The effects of the Quincunx are, as I have suggested, usually both disturbing and unsettling whilst being extremely difficult to pin down and identify as belonging to one's own modes of behaviour. By this I mean to suggest that they are so subtle, in one sense,that it is all to easy to fall under their sway without knowing at all why one is feeling or thinking or behaving as one is. The effect in itself is by no means subtle but the reason why we are subject to it is often all too subtle, so much so that we may feel afflicted by some unknown influence that is "causing" us to manifest whatever "symptoms" we are exhibiting.

To get to the bottom of the matter astrologically one would need to know the planets, by sign and house involved, and even what other aspects bear on them.
"Free will is the ability to do gladly that which one must do" C G Jung
BIGRAVEN13
Senior

Post by BIGRAVEN13 »

Hello Jane Florez, Bigraven here. more personally this time.

"Dec 2007 Moon at 18 Gemini (2nd house) inconjuncts Saturn in Scorpio (6th house)

Moon in Gemini, and later you say you feel the only way out is to be airlifted out. That's a really Moon in Gemini perspective. And very difficult for Saturn in Scorpio, and in "6". Saturn in Scorpion is a "hard road to hoe" at the best of times and for the time you have it set "against" that Moon in Gemini you'll need all your wit and self discipline not be be split by these contrary influences. A progressed planet, to my way of thinking, like transiting one, is in the end a transitory influence offering challenge and opportunity but not altering the fundamental natal dynamics of the personality. So Saturn in Scorpio/6 is in the end the "real you" that has to incorporate the influences/insights/experiences brought by the Gemini Moon. To be airlifted out is not really possible except by dissociating from the fundamental natal dynamism of your personality; in the end that will not be the most psychologically healthy path.

Will look at the other dynamics later.

March 2008 Moon at 21 Gemini (2nd house) inconjuncts 7th house cusp
April 2008 Moon at 22 Gemini (2nd house) inconjuncts M/C (Capricorn) with Mercury on M/C
June 2008 Moon at 26 Gemini (still 2nd house) semi-sextile Jupiter/Uranus conj. In 4th house Cancer
June 2008 Moon at 26 Gemini sextiles Pluto in 5th house Leo
Finally – late July 2008 Moon at 28 Gemini trines Neptune at 28 Libra 6th house – which feels like it is taking a changed-me back to the beginning again of the 6th house activity!"
scorpio
Senior

Post by scorpio »

Queen of the inconjuncts is back again, and, yes. I agree with you, Big Raven that they are totally out of reach of one;s 'normal' personality. This is because, apart from the sextile, they are the only aspect that tries to tie up signs and houses that have absolutly nothing in common. Like air and water or Asc to 6th house. They don't go together and the poor individual is left with trying to incorporate something that won't go together anyway. That is why I think 'expect the unexpected' works so well with them. They seem to come from out of the blue and yet hit us so hard.
janeflorez

Post by janeflorez »

In cases of Inconjuncts, I feel that we should be attempting to MAKE the two factors as conscious as possible and integrate them as far as possible into the personality, even though it hurts like hell. For myself, I feel that as I have trained in pyschotherapy and astrology, it is part of my "path" in life to rise to this challenge (especially as I can see it laid out on paper in front of me).

Any thought?
BIGRAVEN13
Senior

Post by BIGRAVEN13 »

janeflorez wrote:In cases of Inconjuncts, I feel that we should be attempting to MAKE the two factors as conscious as possible and integrate them as far as possible into the personality, even though it hurts like hell. For myself, I feel that as I have trained in pyschotherapy and astrology, it is part of my "path" in life to rise to this challenge (especially as I can see it laid out on paper in front of me).

Any thought?
I could not agree more. For example, I have my North Node(Pisces/11) Quincunx to Mars (Scorpio/6), NN obviously ruled be Neptune, and its no joke. I am also trained in psychotherapy (Jungian), and know that my North Node relates to my individuation process at the most profound level, which also required as much consciousness as one can attain. In my view integration always requires consciousness but Quincunxes provide a very particular challenge in that regard as they by their nature cannot be simply brought to consciousness by an act of will. They require a degree of maturity and subtlety that is hard won and only with the aid of methods that challenge the ego continually because they require attitudes and values to which the ego rarely subscribes in its usual modus operandi. Of course this is a unique matter for every particular Quincunx and no doubt my own described above colours my view in a certain way. The nature of particular issues is, as always, determined by planets and placements.