Retrograde Mercury

admin
Site Admin

Retrograde Mercury

Post by admin »

Uh ohh. T. Mercury is retrograde (26th May 08), and 3 weeks of muddled and misunderstood communications to go. But of course there's a little more to it than just this. The whole Mercury retrograde cycle in a particular element, lasts for approx. 18 months-2 years. This Air retrograde period started in Feb '08, in Aquarius, and lasts until Sept. '09, in Libra.

Erin Sullivan, in her book "Retrograde Planets - Traversing the Inner Landscape" (ARKANA, Penguin Books suggests that this set "allows opportunities to focus on the meaning of the relationships in one's life", not from an 'emotional' level (the realm of Water), but from a mental/intellectual 'assessment of the patterns' of one's relationships; the 'give and take' within one's way of dealing with, or experience of relationships. She says that it's a time for "airing old problems and thinking through involvements with friends, family and other associations...".

Clearly the need for clarity and focus is emphasised more than ever, as everything becomes more complicated, (or is allowed to become so), especially in the Air houses of one's chart, and particularly with Mercury retrograde in Gemini, in the house with Gemini on its cusp.

Good Luck with your undiscombobulating. :wink:
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
scorpio
Senior

Re: Retrograde Mercury

Post by scorpio »

Has anybody actually tried to sit exams while Mercury was Retrograde in their 12th House? :cry:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wait for it...here we go again. On 11 Jan at 16:37 GMT, Mercury turned retrograde in the 8th deg. of Aquarius. (Still in an air sign, and one more Mercury retrograde in air to go: in Libra in Sept.) Again, being Air, the basic miscommunications can occur, and in Aquarius one would expect this to involve 'friends' and 'groups' and 'goals' (and inevitably the house in any personal chart with Aquarius on its cusp, and the house/s ruled by Mercury). And given that Jupiter entered Aquarius on the 5th of Jan. 09 and Merc. conjoins it on the 19th Jan. some brilliant ideas may need to be reworked.

Mercury re-conjoins Jupiter in the 12th deg. of Aquarius on the 24th Feb. when any 're-working' may result in better ways to get your message 'out there', or else result in other ways to do so.

I really like - as always - Philip Sedgwick's take on this and on the '2012 End-of-the-World' :
Just a little while ago while fielding comments on forums and the plethora of 2012 e-mails zipping through cyberspace and on the cusp of Mercury going retrograde, it occurred to me to coin a new phrase: 20Y2K12. The natural review cycle of Mercury retrograde and the ongoing "stuff" about the end of the world (EOTW) reminded me of the column I wrote years ago for the Sci-Fi channel's website entitled YNot2K. Here I was given carte blanche and money to write about the absurdity of the hype and hysteria surrounding Y2K. I knew Y2K was hype because I dared set my computer ahead in time to one minute after the start of 2K and nothing happened.

To honor Mercury retrograde let us aspire to learn from the past. Last week a colleague sent me a chart focused upon the February 1962 stellium in Aquarius. Ah, I remember it well; I was scared stiffless. Maybe the pattern intended to forecast October 1962's last ditch straw grasp for humanity the Cuban Missile Crisis personified.
and:
Anyway, here we are now with Mercury retrograde, a bunch of planets in Aquarius and for the first time in way too long a spell, a hope for humanity, world relations and health care as suggested by Jupiter, Chiron, Lunar Nodes, Neptune and currently Mercury retrograde in Aquarius, which all support the idea that we might just get this whole thing together.

A fascinating article, and for the rest of it go to: http://www.philipsedgwick.com/ and view 'The Galactic Times'.
"Don't let the illusions of your past or future rob you of the infiniteness of your present." [Unknown]
astrovidya.com

Post by astrovidya.com »

Namaste Scarpio,
I had a bitter experience when I had an examination during Mercury in the 12th retro. I was not able to concentrate, at the same time I found I was interested in several things but was unable to concentrate. I wanted quick information. To my surprise, I was fond of reading all the newspapers during retro Mercury in the 12th.
Other planets are also retrograde, for that matter. There could be several conditions like: exalted saturn retro and debilitated saturn retro. What are your considered opinion about these?

Regards,
scorpio
Senior

Post by scorpio »

I agree. It gives you the ability to want to do well but the inability to cope with the nervous problems it hits off. Mercury seems to move everything to the mind level. But not a level that is helpful in exams. IT IS MORE LIKE IT WANTS TO FOCUS ON TRIVIA rather than the ideas that are necessary.
scorpio
Senior

Post by scorpio »

Hello Astrovidya

To have Merc Retrograde in an exam is horrific, I agree. My usual way of dealing with exams is to do everything else I can possibly think of other than studying for exams! I can't remember what other retrogrades where current at exam times but I just thank the heavens that, as a post-graduate, I don't have to do any more of them! I have a bit of an exam phobia anyway (Moon in Pisces square both Jupiter and Ascendant) but when Merc goes retrograde I am far worse. Possibly the best example of this is an Ancient Greek language exam I had to sit. Mind you, I have no talent for languages whatsoever and a terrible memory as well. Nonetheless, I worked incredibly hard at the language of the Ancient Greeks that semester. And I prepared for that exam like I had for no other - going over and over everything countless times. So I went into the examination room. I picked up the paper and was so tense I couldn't even read it - the ancient greek letters just looked totally alien on a modern piece of A4 paper. I panicked even more than usual and started to wonder if I could get away with drawing stick figures of ancient Greeks in boats and whether the examiner would accept this as a translation (at least I recognised the ancient Greek for 'boat'). Eventually, however, I was able to at least make a start on the translations. And for some reason, only known to Zeus and Hermes himself, I managed to pass. The lowest mark I had ever got for any subject, but a pass nonetheless.

If Merc had been direct, I think the 'panic' mode would have been a lot less and the neuro-pathways in the brain would have fired a lot better. I think that is what happens with Merc retrograde in transit - the negative attributes are both exaggerated and emphasised. Still, one is never allowed to get out of an exam by using the excuse that Mercury is retrograde (even if one tries to say that Hermes is saying "Hoimoi") you still have to do it anyway. So one can only do one's best in any planetary transit.
gamzatti

Post by gamzatti »

Do you think retrograde mercury could have an effect on some one buying a house? My daughter mercury sun and rising with venus north node and jupiter all in gemini has been gazumped 3 times in a row. she is almost at a nervous breakdown.it always seems she does have a difficult time when mercury is retrograde her birthtime{with her permission} is 6.10am 30th may 1965. also quite concerned she has so many planets in 12th house stellum.sun venus mercury moon jupiter north node. does anyone have any opinions? lots of thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

gamzatti wrote:Do you think retrograde mercury could have an effect on some one buying a house? My daughter mercury sun and rising with venus north node and jupiter all in gemini has been gazumped 3 times in a row. she is almost at a nervous breakdown.it always seems she does have a difficult time when mercury is retrograde her birthtime{with her permission} is 6.10am 30th may 1965. also quite concerned she has so many planets in 12th house stellum.sun venus mercury moon jupiter north node. does anyone have any opinions? lots of thanks.
Hi gamzatti, could you please give her place of birth? Thankyou.
gamzatti

Post by gamzatti »

Yes thankyou for your interest.place of birth is wanstead in east london. She has 5 planets and north node in 12th house.the planets are sun moon mercury venus and jupiter.I can't quite get my head around what this may signify if anything. She does have a good life with most things positive.It always seems to be this house purchase business as it has happened twice before.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi gamzatti, Well, first of all I'm assuming this all started when Mercury was last retrograde in January 09 in her 9th (legal matters). (Mercury turns R again on 7th May in Gemini in her 12th...what a Stellium she does have in there! No wonder she has been feeling at such a loss as to what to do. However, I would add that it is pushing her to search for answers that she might not have attempted to seek before... And I note that Jupiter has crossed into her 10th House, and rules her 7th and 11th houses, so she may find answers via others - personal relationships, friends, groups etc. especially as Jupiter is the natural ruler of the 9th House and of legal contracts. I think there may be some help coming from somewhere quite soon. But I do think that this is all relevant to those places she chose being 'not the right ones' for her. (Easy words,I know, and especially when someone has set their heart on a home).
I have to say that I think this has more to do with Transiting Retrograde Saturn in her 4th, and conj. her Mars there, and ruling her 8th ('business'), 9th (also 'legal issues'), and opposite her natal Saturn in 10th. Saturn turns direct on the 17th May. Given that Mercury will be turning retrograde in her 12th for a few weeks, it might take just a little bit longer to resolve... Keep looking, and, of course, get the right (legal) advice.
gamzatti.jpg
gamzatti.jpg (108.31 KiB) Viewed 7536 times